Company: Guild Mortgage Company
Location: San Diego
Posted on: April 8, 2021
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page: Guild Mortgage
Company, closing loans and opening doors since 1960. As a mortgage
banking firm we are dedicated to serving the home owner/buyer. Our
goal is to provide affordable home financing for our customers,
utilizing the best terms available while providing a level of
professionalism and service unsurpassed in the lending industry.
Position Summary The Underwriter I plays an important role in the
organization by performing a number of activities related to the
company's retail operations functions. The role is primarily
responsible, under general supervision, for underwriting
conventional loans according to company, secondary market investor,
and government agency standards. This includes ensuring all tax,
title, insurance, and closing documentation associated with the
loan applications are accurate and complete, and approving or
denying loan applications based on compliance with underwriting
standards and risk management factors. Essential Functions
- Review and evaluate loan documents to ensure accuracy,
completeness, and compliance with company standards, federal and
agency standards and guidelines, as well as any applicable
state-specific and or local regulations, ordinances, etc.
- Analyze customer's loan-to-value ratio, debt-to-income ratio,
credit report, application, income and assets, source(s) of down
payment funds, and supporting documentation to identify potential
fraud or misrepresentation.
- Review appraisals to ensure that loans meet secondary market,
investor, and company standards.
- Work with Loan Processors and Loan Officers on collecting
information and documentation necessary to finalize incomplete loan
- Determine if additional documentation or information would aid
loan decision; request additional documentation or information
- Provide options and recommendations to borrowers regarding
suitable loan programs.
- Stay abreast of current regulations and industry trends that
affect compliance and decision-making.
- Verify that system input is accurate and that company systems
match Automated Underwriting System (AUS).
- Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college
courses/technical training related to Business, Finance/Accounting,
Legal, or related field is preferred, along with total recent work
experience that includes at least one of the following: a) two or
more years underwriting conventional loans; or b) four or more
years in progressively responsible loan processing roles; or c) two
or more years in mortgage Underwriting Assistant related
- Direct Endorsement (DE) certification required; must have
current certification(s) for any assigned region with
state-specific requirements to originate/supervise loans.
- Detailed knowledge of overall mortgage lending processes,
including underwriting, funding, and loan processing.
- Detailed knowledge of valid documentation related to the
processing consumer mortgage applications (e.g., tax returns,
financial statements and records, verification of income and
- Familiarity with underwriting and regulatory requirements;
general knowledge of federal, state, and regulatory
requirements/guidelines related to consumer mortgage lending and
internal processes and controls.
- Ability to think critically, including the ability to evaluate
facts and data to draw conclusions, and determine the downstream
impact of decisions and associated risks.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline-driven
environment; strong sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong detail orientation and highly organized.
- Prior experience using internal data entry systems, Microsoft
Word, Excel and PDF/Document Retention programs. Supervision
Direct: Number Job Titles 0 Indirect: -1 (may vary) -- General
supervision required, depending on experience -- Exercise sound
judgment in the execution of core job responsibilities; receive
guidance to resolve issues of higher complexity Requirements
Physical: Work is primarily sedentary; occasionally walks and/or
stands. Manual Dexterity: Frequent use of computer keyboard and
mouse. Audio/Visual: Ability to accurately interpret sounds and
associated meanings at a volume consistent with interpersonal
conversation. Regularly required to accurately perceive,
distinguish and interpret information received visually and through
audio; e.g., words, numbers and other data broadcasted aloud/viewed
on a screen, as well as print and other media. Guild offers a
pleasant work environment, competitive compensation and excellent
benefits package; including medical, dental, vision, life
insurance, AD&D, LTD and 401(k) with employer match.
Guild Mortgage Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: Guild Mortgage Company, San Diego , Underwriter I, Accounting, Auditing , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!