Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Location: San Diego
Posted on: January 15, 2022
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an
affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable
remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as
well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
Under general supervision, and with regular review, this position
supports the manufacturing staff in the analysis, investigation and
resolution of engineering problems of moderate scope and
complexity. Assignments are normally accompanied by general
instructions and suggestions, outlining possible approaches,
sources or information, and potential problems to be encountered
with work reviewed regularly for soundness of technical judgment,
overall adequacy and accuracy. Tasks involve the exercise of
independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance.
Documents findings and implemented solutions and communicates
results to engineering staff. Contacts are primarily internal with
infrequent inter-organization or customer contact on routine
matters. May provide direction to design or technician staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for manufacturing process development,
implementation, and continuous improvement to improve safety,
enhance Quality/ Yield, reduce Cost, and improve
Productivity/Schedule. Initiate and lead lean manufacturing process
- Specify and implement equipment and processes including
efficient layout and optimization of material and information
- Establish and maintain labor standards, lead times and
capacities/capabilities for manufacturing and ancillary
- Establish and maintain work instructions and other
documentation associated with manufacturing and ancillary
- Disposition non-conforming parts, identify root cause, and
implement corrective and/or preventive action to reduce scrap and
- Collaborate with Design Engineering during prototype,
development and first article manufacturing.
- Support and collaborate with shop floor technicians to solve
- Clearly and effectively communicate both verbally and in
written form to both technical and non-technical audiences,
especially regarding manufacturing processes, engineering issues
and proposed changes, and quality issues and dispositions.
- Leading Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen events.
- Establish and manage shop floor metrics that align with
leadership defined KPI 's.We recognize and appreciate the value and
contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and
experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering
or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution
and two or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors
degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of
- Expertise in complex assembly methods and processes (aerospace
and composites a plus).
- Experience with Lean/Six Sigma Manufacturing methodologies for
waste reduction and their application in a manufacturing
- Experience leading cross-functional teams through problem
solving and project execution.
- Experience with Engineering change processes, from requests
- Experience with Drawings and engineering/manufacturing bill of
- Experience in project management and knowledge of Project
Management Body of Knowledge a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook and
- Knowledge of ERP systems (SAP desirable).
- Knowledge of materials management (warehousing, transportation,
logistics) experience desirable.
- Basic CAD design experience (floor layout and small tooling
- Experience running Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen events
- Must be able to work extended hours as required.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.Preferred Qualifications:
- Proficiency with SQL, data mining, and optimizing queries
across multiple datasets is desirable.
- Proficiency with PowerBI - modeling and creating expressions
with PowerQuery and DAX.
- Experience applying simulation models to a manufacturing
environment to predict capacity requirements or plan for future
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, San Diego , Engineer II, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!