Mechanical Design Engineer
Company: General Atomics
Posted on: May 15, 2022
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of
the world s leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle and fusion energy
research to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and
advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Design
Engineer to work within our Magnetic Fusion Energy (MFE) group in
support of the Diagnostic Center in San Diego, CA. Under general
direction with limited review, this position performs design and
analysis of diagnostic systems for the ITER and DIII-D Tokamaks,
and other tokamak support hardware.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops concepts and detailed structural designs of diagnostic
system components, assemblies, sub-systems and structural
- Performs analyses of components, assemblies and sub-systems to
evaluate structural integrity and stresses utilizing SolidWorks and
ANSYS engineering simulation software.
- Applies knowledge of strength of materials, finite element
analysis, fatigue, and material attributes (stress-strain and
design allowables) to develop solution approaches and solve
structural analysis problems.
- Coordinates with engineering staff to set up analyses, identify
critical structural design features, complete analyses, and provide
design feedback to engineering staff.
- Purchase, fabricate, and test prototype diagnostic components
- Documents analyses findings, communicates results to
engineering staff and makes technical presentations requiring a
working knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.We recognize and
appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse
backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in
engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited
institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six
or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more
years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years
with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in
lieu of education.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts,
principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad
application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of
principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new
concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment;
organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the
appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the
project level to provide solutions to a range of complex
- Must have proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office,
Solidworks and ANSYS.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation,
presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work
independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks
in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the
organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of
moderately experienced professional employees on single component
- Able to work extended hours as required.
Keywords: General Atomics, San Diego , Mechanical Design Engineer, Engineering , Alpine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!