Company: General Atomics
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 15, 2022
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of
the world s leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted
aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic,
wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Inertial Fusion Technology (IFT) division designs,
manufactures and characterized first-of-a-kind precision components
and assemblies in support of the national labs, fusion and science
technologies. Components are manufactured and measured on a variety
of highly-specialized and precise equipment and are often
millimeter in scale with micron-sized features and tolerances.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a
Manufacturing/Mechanical Engineer to join our team, located in
Torrey Pines, CA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead a small team responsible for the fabrication,
characterization and delivery of unique planar components enabling
cutting-edge experiments and diagnostics at laser facilities such
as the National Ignition Facility at LLNL and the OMEGA facilities
- Communicate regularly with customers, team and management to
relay production schedule, system status, and design tolerances
while considering available budget, timelines and resources.
- Work with resident staff and other engineering, scientific and
technical personnel from a variety of laboratory institutions and
- Oversee and schedule the assembly tasks. Manage and coordinate
production schedules and workloads to meet established
- Leads team to design, build and/or procures necessary tools,
fixtures, and components required to enhance assembly capabilities
and improve assembly efficiencies.
- Responsible for quality assurance, packaging and shipment of
- Diagnose and correct operational problems in equipment and
procedures. Document and present findings and implement
- Work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating
procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of
individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome
all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor s degree, master s degree or PhD
in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited
institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; four
or more years of experience with a bachelors degree or two or more
years of experience with a master s degree. May substitute
equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts,
principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad
application of those concepts; and expanding knowledge of
principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical
- Must possess:
- Expertise in the use of complex and technical equipment,
highly-detailed and multi-step procedures, and experimental
- Proven ability to lead a small team of 2-5 people in an
engineering or scientific environment.
- Strong working experience with Microsoft Project and Office
suite and Computer Aided Design (CAD) software such as SolidWorks
and programming languages and scripting such as G-code and
- Ability to read and understand detailed drawings, instructions,
and specifications including geometric dimensioning and
- Strong working experience using and programming advanced
instrumentation, microscopes, and metrology equipment.
- Experience with laser-machining, optical CMM tools, and
high-precision fabrication and metrology equipment.
Keywords: General Atomics, San Diego , Manufacturing Engineer, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!