Staff Stress Engineer
Company: General Atomics
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 16, 2022
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an
affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable
remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as
well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Staff Stress Engineer to join
our Airframe Integrity Group at GA-ASI, located in Poway, CA. Under
general supervision with limited review, this position is
responsible for determining and developing effective approaches for
resolving a wide range of difficult engineering problems.
Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives
and anticipated results. Work is reviewed at milestones or at
completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Documents findings,
communicates results to engineering staff and makes technical
presentations as required. May coordinate segments of a specific
project and may have frequent inter- organization and customer
contact on difficult technical issues. Provides direction to design
or technical staff and may provide direction to less experienced
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports operation of engineering systems by evaluating and
interpreting needs and problems and develops effective approaches
to resolving those issues.
- Responsible for performing structural analysis of aircraft
components, assemblies, and systems while working as an integrated
team for design studies.
- Structural analysis includes calculation of loads, stress
analysis, fatigue analysis, and vibration analysis.
- Evaluate structural integrity of aircraft structures by way of
classical hand and finite element methods.
- Generate documentation to report analysis and test results to
support airworthiness certification.
- A working knowledge of FAA and Mil-Spec airworthiness
requirements, along with experience with Matlab, Excel and Visual
Basic will be advantageous.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of
individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome
all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree, master's degree or PhD
in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited
institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine
or more years of experience with a bachelor's degree, seven or more
years of experience with a master's degree, or four or more years
with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in
lieu of education.
- Must be familiar with stress, dynamics, fracture, fatigue and
damage tolerance analysis of metal and composite structures.
- Working knowledge with NASTRAN or ABAQUS software is
- Must have at least 2 years of working experience using Finite
Element analysis tools like Hypermesh, Pro/Mechanica,
FEMAP/NASTRAN, and ABAQUS.
- Knowledge of composite material behavior, laminate theory, and
- Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application
of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the
ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate
workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some
experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and
apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
are required enabling an effective interface with other departments
and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization
as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and
guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of
innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is
- Knowledge of aeroelastic analysis and modal testing is
- A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published
in professional engineering journals, and invited to present one or
more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.by
Keywords: General Atomics, San Diego , Staff Stress Engineer, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!