Senior Optical Engineer
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 25, 2022
LocationSan Diego - CA, USExperience3-7 yearsDegreeMasterJob
CategoryOptical engineering, Physics, MechatronicsTravel10%
Introduction to the jobASML US, including its affiliates and
subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and
technology to develop lithography machines that are key to
producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We
design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced
machines, which enable our customers - the world's leading
chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of
their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful
consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven,
Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United
States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and
San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro,
Oregon.This position may require access to controlled technology,
as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. -
730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to
access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business
demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are
immediately eligible to access controlled technology.Role and
responsibilitiesWe have an exciting opportunity for a Senior
Optical Engineer in San Diego, Ca. This role will support the
design of next-generation optical and mechanical sub-systems for
the creation and control of EUV radiation and supports the
development & integration of innovative core technology elements
and/or system concepts into engineering solutions. Requirement is
to perform a variety of engineering tasks including designing,
developing, testing, analyzing, troubleshooting and implementation
of optical subassemblies and modules. Subsequent design activities
may include detailed tolerance analysis, mounting stress and
thermal analysis. Researches and works with sourcing and supply
chain engineering to select future key suppliers for consideration
as turn-key providers of sub-systems. Coordinates purchasing
activities with engineering and manufacturing departments to source
critical component supply and drive supplier capability
roadmaps.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes optical engineering responsibility for component,
module or subsystem design from concept design through
manufacturing transfer ramp.
- Works with system architects in compiling and verifying photon
- Coordinates with the Opto-Mechanical engineer to develop
mounted solutions for optical metrology systems, including
interactive tolerancing reviews.
- Performs detailed design and component layout for optical
systems including: component specification, tolerancing and
procedures for new or improved subsystems and validates concepts
through breadboard builds and analysis.
- Hands-on opto-mechanical systems build and qualification,
including assembly procedure development, alignment and process
- Interacts closely with development engineers, scientists,
suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
- Leads and/or participates in preliminary and critical design
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.Education and
- Requires minimum of a Master's degree in Optics, Opto-mechanics
or relevant engineering discipline, plus three years industrial
- Expert in optical design, tolerancing and analysis software
- Familiar with non-sequential optical analysis software (e.g.
- Familiarity with mechanical 3D solid modeling design software
(e.g. SolidWorks or NX) an advantage.
- Familiar with the requirements for design and analysis of
complex, tight tolerance mechanical and/or opto-mechanical
- Familiar with specification and development of active optical
components e.g. EOM, AOM, CW and pulsed visible and NIR
- Experience with definition of and design for alignment
strategies for laser systems (hands-on laser system alignment
experience strongly preferred).Familiar with aspects of optical
engineering including (but not limited to):
- Radiometry theory and optical system design.
- Aberration theory and optical design basics.
- Optical thin film coatings.
- Polarization theory and management.
- Methods of mechanically mounting optical
components.SkillsWorking at the cutting edge of tech, you'll always
have new challenges and new problems to solve - and working
together is the only way to do that. You won't work in a silo.
Instead, you'll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment
where you'll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is
always space for creative and unique points of view. You'll have
the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and
To thrive in this job, you'll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact
with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction
through prioritization, quality, efficiency and
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and
high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding
environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on
assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working
relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the
provided timeline.Diversity & InclusionASML is an Equal Opportunity
Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and
inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit,
hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status,
disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize
that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of
our company.Other information#LI-JAMEOE AA
M/F/Veteran/DisabilityNeed to know more about applying for a job at
ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
Keywords: ASML, San Diego , Senior Optical Engineer, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!