Senior Controls Engineer
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 25, 2022
LocationSan Diego - CA, USDegreeBachelorJob CategoryPhysics,
Introduction to the jobASML US, including its affiliates and
subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and
technology to develop lithography machines that are key to
producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We
design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced
machines, which enable our customers - the world's leading
chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of
their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful
consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven,
Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United
States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and
San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro,
Oregon.This position may require access to controlled technology,
as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. -
730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to
access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business
demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are
immediately eligible to access controlled technology.Role and
responsibilitiesWe have an exciting opportunity for a Senior
Controls Engineer to join EUV Source team in San Diego, Ca. The EUV
source team operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and
challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with
rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization
plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Controls Department is
responsible for the development and engineering of the control
loops for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV
source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Control
Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control system
development and integration involving sophisticated control
algorithms, real-time embedded software, high speed electronics,
precision sensors, and all working under extremely challenging
dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.Duties and
- Serve as a technical expert for one or more control subsystems,
capable of independent decision making for critical technical
- Perform feasibility studies, support the development of product
road maps, advise on future product definition and system
- Monitor integrity of system architecture during development,
ensure the availability of Test Specifications, and coordinate or
execute the testing process and design verification.
- Coordinate the specification of system functionalities, and
design the system architecture based whilst ensuring commonality
between products and subsystems across all programs, support
program definition, co-ordinate decomposition and specification of
sub systems, and support the review process and approval of designs
in co-operation with applicable Product- and Project-
- Define, plan, manage and coordinate assigned (portfolio of)
projects and ensure execution and delivery, within the project
- Ensure and support optimal communication of specifications to
all relevant parties to improve the decision processes, and prepare
the introduction of approved new projects by defining all technical
specifications on system level for Development / Engineering.
- Leads and mentors junior controls engineers, leads the
development and integration of innovative control system solutions
to enable stable and efficient production of EUV.
- Organize, coordinate, optimize, lead, coach, develop and
appraise employees within the person's expertise / team.
- Applies broad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control
algorithms, automation, software, and data analysis tools to drive
control system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV
power and system availability.
- Leads and performs integration activates including trouble
shooting the control system, designing and executing test plans, to
ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light
- Documents work results with system requirements, design
specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs duties as assigned.Algorithms and Controls Specific:
- Performs the design, development, and implementation of complex
algorithms involving controller design, system identification,
signal processing and stochastic signal analysis for lasers & other
equipment used in the semiconductor industry.
- Generates software and/or firmware requirements for control
- Mentors more junior level algorithm engineers through technical
guidance and assistance.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and
mathematical control design principles and concepts to potential
inventions and products.
- Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm
design and validation.
- Designs and builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and
performance evaluation of algorithms.
- Determines the root cause for algorithm failure in products in
the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-level
escalations.Education and experience
- 0 years' experience with a PhD.
- 2+ years' experience with a Master's degree.
- 4+ years' experience with a Bachelor's degree.
- Strong competence with the various tools, procedures,
programming languages used to accomplish the job.
- Ideal candidate usually possesses degree in Controls,
Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering
- Specialization in advanced control systems preferred.
- Linear systems, feedback control, signal processing, estimation
and system identification and non-linear systems postgraduate
courses will be highly regarded.SkillsWorking at the cutting edge
of tech, you'll always have new challenges and new problems to
solve - and working together is the only way to do that. You won't
work in a silo. Instead, you'll be part of a creative, dynamic work
environment where you'll collaborate with supportive colleagues.
There is always space for creative and unique points of view.
You'll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle
tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you'll need the following skills:
- Experience designing and implementing practical feedback
control or optimization systems of significant complexity.
- Ability to analyze feedback control systems using classical,
modern or nonlinear techniques and theories.
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some
nonlinear control theory.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Matlab and
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and
effectively report findings through written and/or graphical
- Experience with System Identification desirable.
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable.
- Working knowledge of firmware development/VHDL desirable.
- Experience with embedded software systems desirable.
- Experience with FPGA desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic
e-mail systems.Diversity & InclusionASML is an Equal Opportunity
Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and
inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit,
hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status,
disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize
that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of
our company.Other information#LI-JAMEOE AA
M/F/Veteran/DisabilityNeed to know more about applying for a job at
ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
Keywords: ASML, San Diego , Senior Controls Engineer, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!