Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Company: Simplexity Product Development, Inc.
Location: San Diego
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Simplexity Product Development is an engineering design services
company with four office locations and over 75 employees.
Simplexity has been selected as one of America's Best Places to
Work by Inc. Magazine and is often chosen by top technology firms
as their design partner. We strive to create an environment of
top-notch engineers, experts in their field, who are passionate
about bringing product development excellence to the world's
leading diagnostic, medical and wearable device companies.
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you would be working on a
team designing subsystems of various products, tools, and
equipment. We are seeking candidates to develop complex
instrumentation that includes automated fluid handling, sample
preparation, and sample delivery mechanisms as well as fluidic
controls, motion controls, and thermal controls. Specific technical
responsibilities vary by project; however, it is imperative that
you have command of all mechanical engineering fundamentals and
understand how they are applied to simple, reliable design.
This position is ideal for someone who has a strong technical
background, a command of designing with 3D CAD, and has worked in
product development consulting. If you thrive in a fast-paced
environment, yet enjoy a casual and flexible work atmosphere, then
Simplexity may be the place for you.
- Design and integration of complex mechanical systems including
mechanisms, instrumentation, fluidic, microfluidic, motion, and
- Problem solving and design solutions that incorporate
injection-molded plastic, machined, 3D printed, off-the-shelf, and
sheet metal parts
- Perform analyses, such as finite element, thermal, root-cause,
and tolerance analysis
- Manage assemblies of components and bill of materials and
create 2D drawings using GD&T standards
- Work collaboratively with the electrical, firmware, software,
and quality engineers to optimize designs
- Identify appropriate manufacturing methods for prototyping and
- Evaluate prototypes to test specifications and then improve
upon the design
- Manage, organize, and prioritize technical issues on your
designs and drive toward resolution
- Technical leadership of a project team, across multiple
geographic locations, throughout the product development lifecycle,
including requirements definition, concept generation, design,
prototyping, and design verification
- Work closely and communicate regularly with clients and project
management to keep stakeholders apprised of project status, issues,
design decisions, and risks
- Identify separation of tasks and CAD for distributing among
- Coordinate with external partners in areas like industrial
design and contract manufacturing
- Lead brainstorms and design reviews with internal team and
- Perform coaching/mentoring to less experienced engineers
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Mechanical
Engineering or Biomechanical Engineering from an accredited
- 8+ years of relevant, professional engineering experience.
- Proficient knowledge of SolidWorks (highly preferred) or
equivalent CAD package.
- Instrumentation design experience, with a preference towards
fluidic handling and molecular diagnostics
- Thorough understanding of GD&T and how it is applied to
design and manufacturing.
- Demonstrable knowledge of manufacturing processes and
mechanical design considerations - injection molding, sheet metal,
machining, rapid prototyping, etc.
- Ability to identify and root-cause system-level defects.
- Experience in design and integration of complex systems working
with cross-functional disciplines (electrical, firmware, and
- Excellent organization and analytical skills combined with
attention to detail. Ability to prioritize and plan
- Experience with mechatronics and electro-mechanical systems
including stepper and DC motors, solenoids, gear and belt drive
systems, bearings, sensors, and electronics.
- Highly motivated with demonstrated ability to work
independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and write detailed reports.
- Have a positive attitude and focus on client success.
- Ethical and honest in every part of the job.
Other Experience a Plus:
- In-depth fluids analysis and fluidic handling experience
- Prior experience with medical devices and working within a
medical quality system
- Robotics, mechatronics, and programming
- Finite Element Analysis, Computation Flow Dynamics, or
experience in other simulation packages
BenefitsIn addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- Healthcare plan (Medical, Dental, and Vision) fully paid for by
the company for the employee; partial payment for dependents
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Long-term and short-term disability, AD&D and Life
- Paid maternity/new parent leave
- 11 Paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO) per year, increasing after 2, 5,
and 9 years of service
- Flexible working hours and working from home
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our
employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We
strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each
person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions,
planning and culture.Simplexity has a flexible policy that allows
employees to work from home or from the office during the COVID-19
pandemic if current health orders allow for it. Some travel and/or
on-site work at client sites may be required for this position.
Applicants are required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination
status and must be fully vaccinated with a Center for Disease
Control (CDC)-approved COVID-19 vaccine by their start date or
provide documentation of a medical exemption if they cannot be
vaccinated. Full compliance with Simplexity's Covid-19 safety
procedures is required for all in-person work.
Simplexity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity
and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all
employees. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: Simplexity Product Development, Inc., San Diego , Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!