Senior Staff Engineer, RF Product Development
Location: San Diego
Posted on: January 16, 2019
pSemi Corporation is a Murata company driving semiconductor integration. pSemi builds on Peregrine Semiconductor s 30-year legacy of technology advancements and strong IP portfolio but with a new mission to enhance Murata s world-class capabilities with high-performance semiconductors. With a strong foundation in RF integration, pSemi s product portfolio now spans power management, connected sensors, optical transceivers, antenna tuning and RF frontends. These intelligent and efficient semiconductors enable advanced modules for smartphones, base stations, personal computers, electric vehicles, data centers, IoT devices and healthcare. From headquarters in San Diego and offices around the world, pSemi s team explores new ways to make electronics for the connected world smaller, thinner, faster and better.
The Senor Staff RF Engineer is responsible for the development of measurement systems of RFICs for mobile wireless and commercial/industrial applications; focusing on test solutions for mobile RF Front End ICs such as RF switches, LNAs, and Power Amplifiers. The job requires expertise in RF and analog measurements to ensure that Peregrine s projects are accurately characterized prior to release, combined with disciplined project planning to ensure that schedules are met. The Senior Staff RF engineer will be expected to manage the project schedule and activities of a small team, generate system specifications and create effective measurement solutions.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position has responsibility for:
* Design and development of software and hardware for design validation, performance optimization, characterization and production test of RFICs
* Documenting all relevant product and design information to educate others on novel design techniques and provide guidance on product usage
* Analysis and development of optimization techniques for rapid characterization and test
* Be a technical leader through strong example and training of more junior engineers
In order to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
* Critical Thinking: Skilled at finding logical flaws in arguments and plans; identifies problems and solutions that others might miss; provides detailed insight and constructive criticism into problems and complex situations
* Working with Ambiguity: Achieves forward progress in the face of poorly defined situations and/or unclear goals; able to work effectively with limited or partial information
* Displaying Technical Expertise: Keeps his/her technical skills current; effectively applies specialized knowledge and skills to perform work tasks; understands and masters the technical skills, knowledge, and tasks associated with his/her job; shares technical expertise with others
* Solving Complex Problems: Breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable components; identifies key factors that influence the viability of different solutions; clarifies information needed to solve problems
* Making Accurate Judgments and Decisions: Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions
Minimum Qualifications (Experience and Skills)
* 12+ year of relevant experience
* Ability to analyze RF systems for accurate measurement of large signal RF Front ends
* Proficient in schematic capture, RF system integration and PCB design experience
* Detailed knowledge of the follow components: RF switches, PAs, LNAs, PLLs, Mixers and filters
* Proficiency in software tools such as ADS and software for test development (Matlab, C#, LabVIEW, NI TestStand)
* Expert in the analysis and troubleshooting and investigating RF related issues on systems and PCB assemblies
* Familiarity with Vector Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, Signal Generators and Power Meters
* RF Test Experience: Gain; S-Parameter; P1dB; IP2/IP3; Phase Noise; Noise Figure
* Ability to change the thinking of, or gain acceptance from others in sensitive situations without damaging the relationship
* Experience with automating lab instruments and optimizing measurements for speed
* Knowledge of analog and RF IC design for commercial applications in bulk and/or SOI CMOS technologies.
* Knowledge of system level aspects of modern cellular handsets and networks
* Strong team player with demonstrated out-of-the-box thinking and driving tasks to completion
* Fundamental understanding of non-linear measurements and system noise performance
* WLAN PA characterization experience
* Blind phase acquisition techniques
* BS Electrical Engineering; MSEE preferred
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
pSemi Corporation supports a diverse workforce and is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees. pSemi does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver s license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally-protected medical condition, military or veteran status (including protected veterans under applicable affirmative action laws), marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws applicable to the Company. pSemi also prohibits discrimination based on the perception that an employee or applicant has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
Note: The Peregrine Semiconductor name, Peregrine Semiconductor logo and UltraCMOS are registered trademarks and the pSemi name, pSemi logo, HaRP and DuNE are trademarks of pSemi Corporation in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective companies. pSemi products are protected under one or more of the following U.S. Patents: http://patents.psemi.com
Keywords: pSemi, San Diego , Senior Staff Engineer, RF Product Development, Engineering , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!