Assistant Director of Annual Giving- School of Nursing
Company: Annual Giving Network LLC
Location: San Diego
Posted on: March 20, 2023
The Assistant Director is a key member of central Annual Giving
and School of Nursing (SON) development, with principle
responsibility for SON annual giving. Reporting to the director of
Annual Giving, the assistant director is responsible for developing
SON annual giving campaigns, engagement strategies for SON alumni,
and ongoing stewardship of SON donors. The assistant director will
focus on engaging, cultivating, and stewarding donors through
direct mail, email, telephone outreach, web content, and occasional
face-to-face meetings. The assistant director will participate in
overall strategic planning as well as program management and
Duties and Responsibilities
Comprehensive Annual Giving Campaign
- Plan, implement, and manage all SON annual fund programs
including direct mail, phone-a-thon, and e-solicitations.
- Lead the development and implementation of annual giving
strategies, activities, and timelines to solicit contributions from
alumni, friends, faculty, staff, students, and other constituents
for annual gifts.
- Provide guidance and direction to the Telefunding manager for
the oversight and execution of the SON telephone solicitation
- Analyze data to establish goals and strategies to increase
donor participation in the annual fund (donors & dollars).
- Manage the tracking and stewardship of annual gifts and pledge
payments including endowment funds, scholarships, and other SON
- Provide support tracking gift revenue for current use
scholarships along with the awarding of scholarships.
- Oversee the accuracy and integrity of SON alumni and donor
database records, including the thorough documentation of
communication with SON alumni and donors.
- Assist in the identification of prospects with major gift
- Serve as leader/captain for the SON during the university's
annual Employee Giving Campaign.
- Engage SON alumni by coordinating and implementing alumni
outreach opportunities, programs, and services designed to foster a
lifelong connection between alumni and the SON, in conjunction with
the university's central Alumni Relations office.
- Identify, cultivate, build, manage, support, and execute
specific engagement activities, events, and programs for SON
- Coordinate volunteer programs and services to engage and
cultivate a network of alumni volunteers.
- Work with SON student organizations to instill and promote
lifelong participation and networking.
- Actively identify and act upon opportunities to highlight,
promote, and publicize SON alumni and accomplishments through
University Marketing and Communications and other University
- Track and report key performance measurements of alumni
engagement using the CASE AEM modes of engagement: Communication,
Experiential, Philanthropic, and Volunteer.
- Create, schedule, and budget travel to meet with alumni,
host/represent SON at university-wide alumni events (including
Homecoming and Family Weekend), and support Torero Club chapter
events across the country.
Leadership Annual Gifts
- Manage, solicit and steward SON President's Club (PC) donors,
the university's leadership giving society with annual gifts of
$1,500 or more.
- Manage the personal renewal of SON PC donors; develop and
implement strategies to upgrade PC donors to higher levels of
- Conduct occasional face-to-face meetings to cultivate and to
solicit support to meet SON fundraising priorities and
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit philanthropic support by
developing and maintaining relationships with alumni and other
potential donors to the SON.
- Identify and promote SON events to PC donors to strengthen
their affinity to the SON and to add value to their PC
- Utilize PC events to steward and engage SON donors.
- In conjunction with the director, execute and manage a
thoughtful and comprehensive stewardship plan.
- Create and execute personalized stewardship plans for
leadership annual and major gift donors, including drafting
acknowledgement letters on behalf of the SON's dean.
- Track gifts and appropriately thank donors based on gift amount
Professional Development/Other Responsibilities
- Responsible for keeping up to date with annual giving trends
through research and professional development opportunities,
particularly those related to SON annual giving.
- Assist with SON commencement, graduation awards, and training
other staff on office operations and procedures as needed.
- In addition to the responsibilities outlined in this position
description, other duties may be assigned by the director that fall
within the mission of the Office of Annual Giving, the School of
Nursing, and the University of San Diego.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Some weekend and evening work is necessary related to
student/alumni events and Telefunding Center shift
- From time to time, attendance will be required for purposes of
professional development, training meetings, conferences, or
volunteer committee meetings that relate to the work of this
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this
position will be required to provide official education transcripts
for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Three years' experience in annual giving, development, or
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required as
well as exceptional critical listening and thinking skills. Command
of the English language, including AP writing style, and standard
grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and proofreading
- Self-starter with good project management skills and the
ability to exercise good judgment in advancing projects toward
- Strong organizational and planning skills for balancing
multiple campaigns and tasks.
- Strong computer skills (especially Microsoft Excel and Word)
and proficiency with donor database/prospect management systems is
essential for success in this position.
- Must demonstrate strong analytical skills and superior
attention to detail.
- Experience with budgetary management.
- Must be able to work independently, taking initiative and be
able to ascertain priorities in a dynamic environment of regular
interruptions, multiple projects, and deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Must be friendly and personable; remain professional under
- Experience in higher education or non-profit setting.
- Substantive experience working with volunteers and volunteer
boards is strongly desired.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to working as a member of a team and collaborate
- Strong sense of integrity and ethical conduct.
- Cultural competency and sensitivity a must; ability to
understand different cultural contexts and viewpoints, demonstrate
respect for others, adapt to different cultural settings; and
accept cultural differences.
- Ability to work with donors one-on-one for solicitation and
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and proven ability to
- Knowledge of online communication to increase contacts with
alumni and others.
- Understand the role of technology in annual fundraising and
exhibit the ability to effectively utilize sophisticated
- Demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships
with volunteers, donors, and colleagues.
- Ability to understand and demonstrate an extremely high level
of sensitivity to customer relations and embrace a donor-centric
- Ability to handle confidential information with tact and
- Ability to exercise good judgment, problem solving, and
- Knowledge of USD's policies and procedures.
$5,373.33 - $5,470.84 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer
committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested
in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of
the campus community.
Keywords: Annual Giving Network LLC, San Diego , Assistant Director of Annual Giving- School of Nursing, Executive , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...