Director, Computational Genomics
Location: San Diego
Posted on: March 17, 2019
We are currently looking for a Director for our Computational Genomics team at Vertexs research site in San Diego. The Computational Genomics team is a growing function that spans the three Vertex Research sites in Boston, San Diego, and Oxford (UK). Its mission is to utilize human genetic and genomic data to provide key insights into the underlying biology of human disease and to inform target discovery and validation. This will include large-scale analysis of genotyping or sequencing data, single-cell characterization and pathway analysis from RNA expression data, and other forms of bioinformatic analyses.
- Lead a growing Computational Genomics team in San Diego, helping coordinate and prioritize ongoing and planned activities.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with key stakeholders across Global Research, which includes biology, chemistry, and engineering.
- Perform genomic analysis as required by projects.
- Provide relevant human genetic/genomic expertise and consult on projects across Global Research, as well as to the rest of the company where needed.
- Contribute to management of department goals, as well as team and individual goals.
- Assign group members to serve on project teams and ensure continuous alignment between the team and broader site goals.
- Provide strong leadership and a focus on continuous talent development to attract and retain top talent in a highly competitive environment.
Qualification:PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in statistical or population genetics (or a related bioinformatic subject), with at least 10 years experience in human genetic research and a strong computational background (ideally with experience in software development).
- Internationally recognized as an expert in the field of human genetics, with demonstrable evidence of innovative contributions to method development and application of genomic data to important biological questions.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation skills in communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effectively able to collaborate and to promote innovation across diverse internal functions and with external corporate partners.
- Experience with all aspects of human genetic research including study design, data collection (including familiarity with multiple technology platforms like SNP genotyping, whole-exome or whole-genome sequencing, targeted sequencing, RNA-seq, etc.), data quality control and harmonization, genotype/phenotype association analysis, and visualization of results.
- Proven leadership skills to impact and influence decision-making within a dynamic team environment.
- Proven track record in attracting and retaining talented employees.
- An experienced mentor who effectively fosters a team environment of confidence and commitment.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a group, inspiring others and creating a decisive, dynamic and motivated environment; able to clearly articulate vision and gain buy-in.
- Possesses the maturity, confidence and credibility to advise and influence senior management, partners, and external stakeholders.
- The qualified applicant must also be flexible, well-organized, and have the ability to work well under pressure.
Keywords: Vertex, San Diego , Director, Computational Genomics, Executive , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!