Medical Sciences Librarian Services at NHRC
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job DescriptionSalary: 50000CA&M, Inc. is accepting resumes
for a position at the Naval Health Research Center, San Diego for a
Medical Sciences Librarian. The ideal candidate should be able
fulfil the following responsibilies under this contract.
- Provide NHRC with support performing medical sciences library
functions, and overall library support for research engaged in
fulfilling the mission of NHRC. All documents that contract
personnel assist in drafting are subject to final government review
- Initiate the marketing of library services to NHRC
- Review and recommend vendor services in terms of
- Establish public services, including circulation, collection
access, and reference services.
- Recommend long-range plans for enhanced services for new
integrated library systems, acquisition of approved library
materials, and journal subscriptions. Continually evaluate programs
for mission effectiveness.
- Serve as the primary information retrieval specialist and
provide multidisciplinary subject matter expertise essential to the
formulation of successful search strategies.
- Determine appropriate databases, based on evaluation of the
researcher's needs and the applicability of specific files from
which to draw reference materials, and provide recommendations.
Library databases to be utilized include the Defense Technical
Information Center (DTIC), Medical Literature Analysis and
Retrieval System Online (MEDLINE), PsycINFO, National Technical
Information Service (NTIS), and several hundred other databases
available through external producers.
- Identify descriptors with open-ended terms most relevant to a
- Use detailed knowledge of file structure and indexing
procedures to create search strategies that ensure a computer
search is directly pertinent to the information requested.
- Assist with requests for publications and other resources from
principal investigators, researchers, and contractors involved in
research at NHRC.
- Review bibliographies for completeness of subject coverage and
- Plan, evaluate, and recommend acquisition of computer software
and equipment to support extensive library functions; evaluate
existing software and recommend new systems to enhance operations
and/or accomplish new tasks; work closely with computer specialists
to translate library needs into automated systems; maintain EOS
Integrated Library System, including the integrity and authority of
its data; advise Command management on new generation
- Perform original cataloging where records are not available in
national databases. Original cataloging is contributed to the
national Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) database to provide
authoritative cataloging of highly specialized materials important
to the military medical research community.
- Keep current with new developments in health subject areas as
well as advances in information technology, including web resources
and Online Public Access Catalogs (OPACs); Review study reports,
journals, and books, and attend training and meetings to maintain
current knowledge in field; Make recommendations for the
acquisition of research materials relevant to NHRC's diverse
- Establish collaborative relationships with library scientists
within Navy medicine, Navy medical libraries, and medical
universities.REQUIREMENTS1. Certification or experience equivalent
to the Medical Library Association's certification requirements2.
Full professional knowledge of Library Science as evidenced by
education and/or experience in library science; mastery of the
major library functions of reference, collection development,
library automation, serials management, and cataloging3. Extensive
knowledge of medical subject areas and terminology4. Extensive
knowledge of medical subject resources, including but not limited
to published books and serials and electronic databases, with
particular expertise in Medical Literature Analysis and Retrieval
System Online (MEDLINE), Online Computer Library Catalog (OCLC),
military and other Government documents, and difficult to locate
statistical sources relevant to ongoing research studies.5.
Knowledge of Sirsi Corporation's Electronic Online Systems (EOS)
integrated library system6. Must currently hold, or be able to get
a public trust.
Keywords: CA&M, San Diego , Medical Sciences Librarian Services at NHRC, Healthcare , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!