Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist - Part Time 20 Hours - San Diego (Clairemont Mesa Blvd)
Location: Solana Beach
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Under indirect, or direct supervision and based on the
understanding of patient variables such as age, sex, and other
physical characteristics: monitors or manages the medication
therapy of hospitalized or ambulatory patients as assigned; confers
with and assists medical personnel in the care and treatment of
these patients; provides medication information and pharmacokinetic
dosing advice; adjust doses, orders laboratory tests, and
administers medications according to established policies &
procedures; monitors medication distribution; dispenses, compounds,
and distributes pharmacy products. Provides direction to ancillary
pharmacy staff. Performs other duties as required.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Performs sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- In collaboration with the health care team, develops and
implements patient-specific plans to optimize medication
- Monitors the medication therapy to assure optimum therapeutic
- Manage and optimize medication therapy based on interpretation
of data, assessments, and evaluations of patient outcomes.
- Follows hospital approved collaborative, pharmacokinetic drug
therapy management protocols (e.g., adjust drug doses, order
laboratory tests, assess therapeutic effectiveness etc.).
- Interviews patients and family members or other designated care
givers to obtain information regarding medication use, medication
allergies and sensitivities.
- Utilizes that information, as well as pertinent information
from other data sources, into the patient's medication management
- Documents the information appropriately in the patients'
medical record or other computer systems.
- Advises patients and designated family members or other
designated care givers regarding medication, directions for use,
storage requirements, medication coordination with diet, importance
of compliance, precautions and warnings for medication
- Advises the patient and designated family members or other
designated care givers on the use of medication related
- Provides pharmacokinetic dosing advice to medical
- Orders and adjusts medication dosages, orders laboratory tests,
and administers medication under protocol according to established
policies and procedures.
- Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of the hospital
medication distribution system.
- Reviews all medication orders for appropriateness and adherence
to the drug formulary.
- Clarifies orders and intervenes when necessary.
- Verifies accuracy of medication preparation and dispensing by
- Provides medical personnel with medication information.
- Identifies potential medication safety issues and works
actively to prevent medication errors.
- Reviews patient medical records to detect adverse drug events
and assists medical personnel to form treatment plans in response
to adverse drug events.
- Evaluates adverse drug events to determine their severity,
probability, and preventability for further analysis and
- Reviews patients medical record to verify proper delivery and
correct administration of medication.
- Ensures appropriate medication storage and security.
- Participates in investigational drug studies as required.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution.
- Consults with supervisors when appropriate.
- Supports a collaborative Labor-Management Partnership
- Reports discrepancies to appropriate medical and/or
- Develops and tests requirements and specifications for
protocols, computer programs, pharmacokinetic dosing and other
pharmaceutical care applications.
- Participates in assigned education and training programs.
- Develops and maintains teaching curriculum and conducts
educational programs for pharmacy, other medical personnel, and
- Actively participates in rounds, hospital committees,
utilization review, quality management programs and other programs
- Participates actively as a member of the interdisciplinary team
during medical emergencies (e.g. Code Blue).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Possesses a minimum of 1500 hours of inpatient pharmacy
experience within the last 3 years (e.g., intern pharmacist,
pharmacist) or successful completion of an ASHP accredited clinical
pharmacy practice residency within the last 5 years prior to start
- Degree in Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited (or ACPE candidate
status) School of Pharmacy
License, Certification, Registration
- Pharmacist License (California) required at hire
- Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System
Registration required at hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient variables such as age, sex,
and other physical characteristics/presentation and disease states
as they relate to medication therapy.
- Comprehensive knowledge of acute care medications.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of current
pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology,
pathologies and disease states, and the ability to relate this
information to the patients medical management plan.
- Demonstrated work experience performing aseptic technique and
the ability to prepare sterile IV products and chemotherapeutic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations regarding
the provision of pharmaceutical services.
- Demonstrated ability to extract pertinent information from the
patient, or other sources, and relate it to the patients medical
- Experience operating pharmacy computer system(s) and other
- Comprehensive knowledge of emergency medications.
- Doctorate of Pharmacy, Pharm.D.
Job Category: Pharmacy
Keywords: Kaiser, San Diego , Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist - Part Time 20 Hours - San Diego (Clairemont Mesa Blvd), Healthcare , Solana Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...