Medical Office Assistant II
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 26, 2023
Under direct supervision of RN or provider performs routine patient
care following department policies and procedures. Assists with
patient exams and procedures, responds to members' telephone
messages and provides education to members and families.
- May perform nursing care functions such as vital signs, removal
and/or application of dressings for assessment by licensed
provider, cleaning wound after provider's assessment and
instructions, shaving and skin preparation, reinforce standardized
self care procedures as directed by licensed provider.
- Recognizes and responds to acute emergency situations following
- May draw up injection solutions for immediate use upon
- Orients patients to system policies and practices.
- Provides appropriate instruction sheets based upon provider
- Reviews instruction sheet with patient.
- Transports patients by assisting or lifting individuals onto
mobile beds or wheelchairs and transports/transfers patient onto
other hospital or clinic areas as directed.
- Completes necessary arrangements or organizes treatment room
prior to surgical and/or examination procedures by setting up or
laying out instruments, drapes and sponges contained in sterile
trays and assembling equipment items as required for particular
procedures as directed by physician.
- May assist licensed provider with patient examinations and
treatments by positioning, restraining patients and assisting as
- Provides assistance in treatment rooms during minor surgical
procedures and/or various diagnostic examinations by positioning
and draping; may hold clamps or retractors, sponge vascular areas,
and pass instruments as specifically directed by physician.
- Assures safety or patient during procedures and transport.
- May prepare and transport items such as medical equipment and
- May clean and disinfect instruments/equipment according to
- Follow Universal Precautions.
- Reports incidents of failure to follow procedures to Department
Administrator or designee.
- Maintains departmental files, performing duties such as pulling
files and assembling forms prior to appointment, and filing
returned diagnostic reports as directed.
- Initiates and/or completes diagnostic test forms per provider
order, telephones prescriptions to pharmacies, relays medical
information from physician to patient and relays information from
patient to physician.
- Charts in patient medical records as indicated.
- May perform lab tests including urine dip-tests, acetone tests,
hemoccult tests, tests to determine PH., protein and PKU.
- May perform hearing and vision tests, glaucoma tests and visual
- Collects, by non-invasive techniques and preserves specimens
for testing, including urine, sputum and stool.
- Participates in Departmental Quality Assurance Activities.
- Performs other duties as required, such as checking patients'
medical records for incomplete data, relaying messages to staff
- Note: Specific duties may vary depending on assignment.
- Note: Bold print indicates those difference between the Medical
Office Assistant I and II classifications.
- These responsibilities are specific to the Medical Office
- Completion of a program in Medical Office Assistant with
Certification AND equivalent of six (6) months of experience OR
twelve (12) months of equivalent experience in lieu of
License, Certification, Registration
- Valid CPR.
- If position is for Pediatrics, it requires minimum of one (1)
year pediatric or equivalent experience.
- Prescription calls in for ambulatory care setting.
- Ability to give and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with the public.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the sterile techniques.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Ortho experience preferred.
- BLS required.
PrimaryLocation : California,San Marcos,San Marcos Medical Offices
HoursPerWeek : 40
Shift : Day
Workdays : Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
WorkingHoursStart : 06:00 AM
WorkingHoursEnd : 10:00 PM
Job Schedule : Full-time
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : B09 OPEIU Local 30
Job Level : Entry Level
Job Category : Administrative & Support Services
Department : San Marcos Outpatient Med Cntr - Orthopedics-Regular
Clinic - 0806
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation,
national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry,
disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information,
other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or
any other protected status.
Keywords: Kaiser, San Diego , Medical Office Assistant II, Healthcare , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...