Lab Technician I, Laboratory of Dr. Ecker
Company: Salk Institute for Biological Studies
Location: La Jolla
Posted on: November 19, 2023
DescriptionUnder close supervision, position will perform tasks
and experiments in support of academic research projects. Position
will be part of plant research group studying the genes involved in
Arabidopsis root growth. Responsibilities may include: preparing
media plates, overseeing plating of seeds by a robot and/or plating
seeds, scanning media plates on flatbed scanner, simple data
analysis, watering plants, and general lab maintenance.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Prepares media and media plates
- Oversees proper operation of automated plating system
- Run PCR and purify PCR product
- Waters, stakes, and harvests plants in growth chambers
- Extract genomic DNA
- Assists with scanning plates on flatbed scanner
- Troubleshoots various steps of the experiment
- Monitors plants including watering and seeding
- Facilitates the transfer of seedlings to media plates for
- Performs general lab cleanliness and maintenance
- No Experience Required
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience
- Undergraduate coursework in biological sciences or related
field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Punctual, meticulous and rigorous in completing an assigned
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and
perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate
records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse
groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining
effective working relationships with personnel at all
- Strong attention to detail
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support
- Successful completion of the Institute's background
The expected pay range for this position is $16.30 - $17.00 per
hour.Salk Institute provides pay ranges representing its good faith
estimate of what the institute reasonably expects to pay for a
position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be
determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope
and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the
selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal
equity, geographic location, and external market pay for comparable
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL
The incumbent in this position will be constantly carrying over 50
lbs, handling, seeing, and talking.
The Salk Institute is an internationally renowned research
institution that values . We seek bold and interactive leaders
passionate about exploring new frontiers in science. Our
collaborative community embraces diverse perspectives and unique
life experiences, fostering innovation, and a sense of belonging.
Together, we strive to improve the wellbeing of humanity through
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other
manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they
have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the
pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have
access to the compensation information of other employees or
applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot
disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals
who do not otherwise have access to compensation information,
unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or
charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding,
hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the
employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to
furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Keywords: Salk Institute for Biological Studies, San Diego , Lab Technician I, Laboratory of Dr. Ecker, Healthcare , La Jolla, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!