Senior Lab Mechanician
Company: University of California San Diego
Location: La Jolla
Posted on: October 12, 2018
UC San Diego
Senior Lab Mechanician
Salary Range: $55,500 - $63,955/year
Under general supervision, advise MAE students in the undergraduate machine shop class. Assist and advise the students in the design and fabrication of their quarter-long projects using comprehensive knowledge of separate machining characteristics of a wide variety of materials and shop practices and machining principles.
Employ a high degree of manual dexterity to fabricate machine projects. Perform both basic and sophisticated machining work in support of undergraduate/graduate student projects. Operate standard machine shop equipment such as lathes, milling machines, and band saws. Fabricate and modify specialized equipment, components, and prototypes from a variety of materials.
Provide one-on-one training to less experienced shop users, emphasizing good work habits and safety. Clean, organize, and maintain shop.
• Work Schedule: Weekdays: 11:30am-8:00pm and alternating Saturdays: 9:30am-6:00pm.
• Proven high level machinist skills, including the skill to safely set up, operate, and perform minor maintenance on standard machine shop equipment such as lathes, milling machines, grinders, band saws, brakes, and drill presses.
• Demonstrated knowledge of relevant safety practices, plus the ability and willingness to comply with those practices.
• Comprehensive knowledge of shop practices and machining principles. Skill to perform machining work to close tolerances on a range of shapes and angles.
• Demonstrated ability to design and fabricate high-quality finished products in materials such as aluminum, plastics, ceramics, copper, stainless steel, and brass.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the individual machining characteristics of a wide variety of materials.
• Strong ability to use originality and ingenuity to solve problems.
• Ability to accurately perform mathematical calculations relevant to machine shop work. May include converting between metric and imperial measurements, calculating volumes and/or weights, etc.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to interact successfully with individuals from a variety of cultural backgrounds and with non-native speakers of English.
• Background Check required.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Keywords: University of California San Diego, San Diego , Senior Lab Mechanician, Healthcare , La Jolla, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!