Head, Translational Immuno-oncology
Location: La Jolla
Posted on: April 18, 2019
As a leader of the Translational Immuno-oncology group (TIO), the
position will be early clinical development and biomarker and
mechanism of action (MOA) studies for cutting edge cancer vaccine
and oncolytic virus programs. This includes overseeing preclinical
research to establish biomarker and MOA hypotheses and then testing
these hypotheses in clinical studies. The position will contribute
to both operation and strategy of oncology R&D, manage a team
of translational scientists, and work closely with several partner
groups, including preclinical immuno-oncology and clinical oncology
teams. The position is located in La Jolla, CA, and reports to the
VP for Cancer Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics.
Lead Translational Immuno-oncology (TIO) within the Cancer Vaccines
& Immunotherapeutics Department
- Apply expertise in translational sciences to advance cancer
vaccine- and oncolytic virus-based immunotherapy regimens from
preclinical research through early clinical development. This will
include discovery and development of biomarker assays, therapy
mechanism-of-action (MOA) studies, and
- Contribute to the design and execution early clinical
development plans to select correct patient populations, dosing
schedules, and endpoints and to incorporate biomarker and MOA
- Strengthen departments' overall translational immuno-oncology
capabilities and expertise, for example by expanding preclinical
and clinical immunophenotyping approaches.
- Partner with multiple groups (internal and external) to design,
implement, and conduct biomarker and MOA studies. Internal groups
include the Oncology Research and Clinical Oncology divisions.
Collaboration also involves engaging external CROs to collect
biopsies and conduct biomarker assays under GLP conditions.
- Identify, initiate, and manage external collaborations to
support translational immuno-oncology research and drug
- Serve as TIO representative on all cancer vaccine and oncolytic
virus program teams, helping to rapidly and rigorously advance
- Develop and ensure adherence to Standard Operating Procedures
(SOPs) for patient biopsy collection and clinical biomarker
- Contribute to preparation of required drug development and
regulatory documents (e.g., IND submissions), being responsible for
translational science components.
- Effectively communicate strategy, methodology, progress, and
challenges to multiple stakeholders and partners, including senior
executives and governance committees.
- Represent Pfizer at external conferences and scientific events,
and publish results in high quality scientific journals.
Manage the Translational Immuno-oncology Team
- Responsible for directing the daily activities, overall
performance, and career development of a team of talented
scientists ranging from Research Associates to Senior/Principal
- Ensure high productivity and strong scientific rigor of each
TIO team member.
- Accountable for maintaining a safe working environment for TIO
Contribute to Strategy and Operation of Cancer Vaccines &
Immunotherapeutics (CVIT) Department
- As a member of the CVIT Leadership Team, help to:
- Define and implement overall CVIT research and development
strategy and priorities.
- Assign and coordinate efficient use of all resources, including
staff activities and research funds.
- Manage performance and development of entire CVIT staff.
- Carry out various CVIT operational assignments, for example
serving on safety committees or overseeing implementation of new
personnel policies or lab procedures.
- May serve a Program Team Leader, accountable for all aspects of
program strategy and execution
- Work with project management and all team members to
efficiently advance a research program from discovery phases
through early clinical development.
- Accountable for of high scientific rigor, expertise, and
productivity of program.Responsible for all communication between
Program Team and stakeholders.
- M.D. in oncology or Ph.D. in immunology, cancer biology or
relevant biological science
- 10+ years of experience with at least 7 years in oncology drug
discovery and development, including immuno-oncology
- Experience in translational oncology and early clinical
development, including preclinical identification and clinical
evaluation of biomarkers (pharmacodynamics, prognostic, and
- Strong scientific leadership experience, including experience
leading multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Extensive experience in managing a staff of scientists,
including maintaining high productivity and motivation, evaluating
performance, and developing all direct reports.
- A strong record of achievement, including advancement of cancer
drug projects and publications in leading journals.
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and
conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,
disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all
applicable national, state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care
providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and
implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer
to provide government agencies with information such as a health
care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other
value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further
legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which
Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for
licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value
under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine
Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs
recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we
pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments
made currently will be reported to the government. If you have
questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact
your Talent Acquisition representative.
Other Job Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: January 15, 2019
- Eligible for Relocation Package: yes
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: yes
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each
jurisdiction in which it operates.
Keywords: Pfizer, San Diego , Head, Translational Immuno-oncology, Healthcare , La Jolla, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!