Snax and Stix - Associate Cook
Company: Valley View Casino & Hotel
Location: Valley Center
Posted on: May 16, 2022
WHO WE ARE:Be a member of the winning team at Valley View Casino
& Hotel named one of San Diego's Best Places To Work by the San
Diego Business Journal. Valley View is where fun and your future
will come together join our team for a fun and exciting environment
with amazing benefits that focus on you, your family and helping
you reach your lifetime goals! Deeply rooted in the Valley Center
community, we, the San Pasqual Band of Mission Indians, have a rich
local history. With traditions founded upon "good neighbor" values,
our Tribe has been a part of this community for many generations.
Valley View Casino & Hotel reflects our proud heritage of
enterprise and opportunity; it is a place for our friends and
neighbors. At Valley View Casino & Hotel our team members are the
foundation of who we are and what we do. The compassion,
encouragement and level of experience that you will be exposed to
will put you on a career path full of opportunities for
advancement. Description of the Position: The Associate Cook will
learn to safely prepare food items while following menu
specifications and standard recipes in a quick, timely, and
accurate manner. This Team Member will perform all duties in
accordance with Valley View Casino & Hotel policies and within the
realm of the Valley View Casino & Hotel's Mission Statement.
Carries out responsibilities with the direction of the culinary
team and exercises good judgment to achieve desired results. Team
Member will rely on limited experience instructions and
pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks:
- All team members are obligated to support and uphold the Valley
View Casino & Hotel's Standards of Excellence as outlined in the
Team Member Guide to Success.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times, resolving guest
complaints and ensuring guest satisfaction. Greet guests in a
courteous and caring manner using personalized service.
- Prepare all food items according to standard recipes and menu
to ensure consistency of product.
- Build knowledge, understanding, and application of various
- Build preparation and knowledge of base sauces, stocks, and
- Actively participate with staff to cook, prepare, dish-up and
- Learn to operate kitchen equipment including slicer, steamer,
deep fryer, ovens, broiler, grill, mixer, kettle, and flat
- Maintain a working knowledge of all food products.
- Perform all assigned side work to include
replenishing/restocking work station with supplies.
- Rotate all products on the first-in, first-out philosophy.
Properly label and date all products to ensure safekeeping and
- Check station before, during, and after shift for proper set-up
- Abide by all health codes and hand washing guidelines and
encourage team members to do the same.
- Fully observe all safety procedures.
- Strive for picture perfect plate presentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Responsible for conducting all responsibilities in a
professional and ethical manner
- Responsible for maintaining a consistent, regular attendance
record. Required Qualifications:
- Must possess and demonstrate a positive attitude
- Must possess and demonstrate a willingness to learn and have
the ability to follow instructions and direction.
- Ability to work within a team-centered work environment.
- Ability to learn and maintain a working knowledge of weights,
measures, and various cooking techniques.
- Ability to learn and identify pan types and knife types.
- Ability to maintain knowledge of sanitary practices.
- Reading and math skills for recipes and measurement.
- Ability to stand on a hard surface for long periods of
- Ability to tolerate areas with extreme hot and cold
- Effective communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out a
variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Must apply for, receive, and maintain a Gaming License from the
Tribal Gaming Agency.
- Must successfully pass a drug screening test.
- Must be able to successfully pass applicable auditions or skill
testing. Preferred Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Previous culinary experience. Physical Requirements of the
Position: The physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by the Team Member to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job.
- Clear vision (close, distant, peripheral, and depth perception)
is needed for navigating office and casino environments, reading
and reviewing reports and policies, operating data processing
equipment and other essential job functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is
regularly required to talk and hear.
- The Team Member is regularly required to sit and use hands to
manipulate, handle, or feel.
- The Team Member is regularly required to stand; walk; reach
with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or
crawl and taste or smell. Team Member must be able to stand for the
majority of their shift.
- The Team Member must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Working
- The Casino is open 24 hours per day, seven (7) days per week;
therefore, you must be flexible to work any and all shifts.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is
exposed to second hand tobacco smoke, moving mechanical parts and
fumes or airborne particles.
- The Team Member is usually subject to inside environmental
conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions, but
not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The Team Member is occasionally subject to outside
environmental conditions and to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
When on the casino floor, the noise level increases to loud. Other
- Native American hiring preference applies.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job.
You may be instructed by management to perform other tasks or
- You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of
the tasks listed in this job description and your ability to commit
to the Standards of Excellence.
- Management has the right to revise this job description at any
- The job description is not a contract for employment.All team
members are obligated to support and uphold the Valley View Casino
& Hotel's Standards of Excellence as outlined in the Team Member
Guide to Success. Maintain positive guest relations at all times,
resolving guest complaints and ensuring guest satisfaction.
Greeting guests in a courteous and caring manner using personalized
service. Must apply for, receive, and maintain a Gaming License
from the Tribal Gaming Agency. Must be able to successfully pass
applicable auditions or skill testing and a drug screening test.
While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is exposed
to second hand tobacco smoke, moving mechanical parts and fumes or
airborne particles. The Casino is open 24 hours per day, seven (7)
days per week; therefore, you must be flexible to work any and all
shifts. Other details
Keywords: Valley View Casino & Hotel, San Diego , Snax and Stix - Associate Cook, Hospitality & Tourism , Valley Center, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!