The Cafe - Cook I
Company: Valley View Casino & Hotel
Location: Valley Center
Posted on: June 25, 2022
WHO WE ARE:
Be a member of the winning team at Valley View Casino & Hotel named
one of San Diego's Best Places To Work by the San Diego Business
Journal. Valley View is where fun and your future will come
together join our team for a fun and exciting environment with
amazing benefits that focus on you, your family and helping you
reach your lifetime goals!
Deeply rooted in the Valley Center community, we, the San Pasqual
Band of Mission Indians, have a rich local history. With traditions
founded upon "good neighbor" values, our Tribe has been a part of
this community for many generations. Valley View Casino & Hotel
reflects our proud heritage of enterprise and opportunity; it is a
place for our friends and neighbors.
At Valley View Casino & Hotel our team members are the foundation
of who we are and what we do. The compassion, encouragement and
level of experience that you will be exposed to will put you on a
career path full of opportunities for advancement.
Description of the Position:
The Cook I will safely prepare food items while following menu
specifications and standard recipes in a quick, timely, and
Primary Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks:
- All team members are obligated to support and uphold the Valley
View Casino's Standards of Excellence as outlined in the Team
Member Guide to Success.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times, resolving guest
complaints and ensuring guest satisfaction. Greet guests in a
courteous and caring manner using personalized service.
- Prepare all food items according to standard recipes and menu
to ensure consistency of product.
- Exhibit knowledge, understanding, and application of various
- Exhibit preparation and knowledge of base sauces, stocks, and
- Actively participate with staff to cook, prepare, dish-up and
- Operate kitchen equipment including slicer, steamer, deep
fryer, ovens, broiler, grill, mixer, kettle, and flat top.
- Maintain a solid knowledge of all food products.
- Perform all assigned side work to include
replenishing/restocking work station with supplies.
- Rotate all products on the first-in, first-out philosophy.
Properly label and date all products to ensure safekeeping and
- Check station before, during, and after shift for proper set-up
- Abide by all health codes and hand washing guidelines and
encourage team members to do the same.
- Fully observe all safety procedures.
- Strive for picture perfect plate presentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Responsible for conducting all responsibilities in a
professional and ethical manner
- Responsible for maintaining a consistent, regular attendance
record. Required Qualifications:
- Six months of experience as a Cook in a high-volume restaurant
- Ability to identify pan types and knife types.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using a slicer, mixer, robo coupe,
tongs, chef's knife, bread knife, paring knife, steel, high heat
spatula, turner, and whisk.
- Knowledge of sanitary practices.
- Working knowledge of weights, measures, and various cooking
- Possession of the basic tools to perform the job duties of a
- Reading and math skills for recipes and measurement.
- Ability to stand on a hard surface for entire shift.
- Ability to tolerate areas with extreme hot and cold
- Must possess effective communication and organizational
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out a
variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Must apply for, receive, and maintain a Gaming License from the
Tribal Gaming Agency.
- Must successfully pass a drug screening test.
- Must be able to successfully pass applicable auditions or skill
testing. Preferred Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Formal culinary training. Physical Requirements of the
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by the Team Member to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Clear vision (close, distant, peripheral, and depth perception)
is needed for navigating office and casino environments, reading
and reviewing reports and policies, operating data processing
equipment and other essential job functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is
regularly required to talk and hear.
- The Team Member is regularly required to sit and use hands to
manipulate, handle, or feel.
- The Team Member is frequently required to stand; walk; reach
with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or
crawl and taste or smell. Team Member must be able to stand for the
majority of their shift.
- The Team Member must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Working
- The Casino is open 24 hours per day, seven (7) days per week;
therefore, you must be flexible to work any and all shifts.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is
exposed to second hand tobacco smoke, moving mechanical parts and
fumes or airborne particles.
- The Team Member is usually subject to inside environmental
conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions, but
not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The Team Member is occasionally subject to outside
environmental conditions and to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
When on the casino floor, the noise level increases to loud. Other
- Native American hiring preference applies.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job.
You may be instructed by management to perform other tasks or
- You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of
the tasks listed in this job description and your ability to commit
to the Standards of Excellence.
- Management has the right to revise this job description at any
- The job description is not a contract for employment.All team
members are obligated to support and uphold the Valley View Casino
& Hotel's Standards of Excellence as outlined in the Team Member
Guide to Success. Maintain positive guest relations at all times,
resolving guest complaints and ensuring guest satisfaction.
Greeting guests in a courteous and caring manner using personalized
Must apply for, receive, and maintain a Gaming License from the
Tribal Gaming Agency. Must be able to successfully pass applicable
auditions or skill testing and a drug screening test. While
performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is exposed to
second hand tobacco smoke, moving mechanical parts and fumes or
airborne particles. The Casino is open 24 hours per day, seven (7)
days per week; therefore, you must be flexible to work any and all
Keywords: Valley View Casino & Hotel, San Diego , The Cafe - Cook I, Hospitality & Tourism , Valley Center, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!