EUV Scientist - Research and Technology Development
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 25, 2022
LocationSan Diego - CA, USDegreeMasterJob CategoryPhysics,
Optical engineering, Mechanical engineeringTravel10%
Introduction to the jobASML US, LP brings together the most
creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography
machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more
energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market
and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers -
the world's leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase
the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to
smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are
in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations
around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT,
Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.This position requires
access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export
Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. - 730, et seq.). Qualified
candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled
technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require
ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to
access controlled technology.Role and responsibilitiesWe have an
exciting opportunity for a EUV Scientist to join a dynamic and
innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and
demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of
high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. The EUV source
technology development team is responsible for identifying
system-level operating points for stable EUV production from laser
produced plasmas and helps to chart the path to higher average EUV
powers to meet the future needs of the EUV roadmap. Based on a
laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide
range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser
light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser
produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal
detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You
are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas
of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers,
and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies
forward.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guide development of high-level architecture as well as
specific techniques for metrology, actuation, stabilization (both
passive and active), and control in order to improve the EUV
- Identification of key scientific learning objectives and
corresponding experimental design which will further the
technological progress of the EUV generation process.
- Provide metrology, actuation, and stabilization design
guidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product
- Demonstration of system-wide performance targets to meet the
future technology roadmap.
- Plan, develop and execute system and subsystem performance
tests, analyze test results and extract actionable knowledge from
sub-module to full-system levels.
- Troubleshoot issues with laser, tin delivery, and optical
systems, as well as their interplay, in order to improve the EUV
- Document learning and communicate knowledge to engineering and
product development teams to guide product improvement and release
of new product nodes.
- Work independently and in teams to deliver on a stated
objective, whether it be the pursuit of new knowledge, the
demonstration of a new capability, or the characterization of
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.Education and
- PhD or MS degree with relevant experience in physics, plasma
engineering, photonics or equivalent field.
- 3+ years' experience with a PhD.
- 5+ years' experience with a Master's degree.
- 7+ years' experience with a Bachelor's degree.
- Deep understanding of scientific research methods and strong
- Hands-on experience with complex system design and build,
characterization, and troubleshooting.
- Extensive experience with experimental data analysis and
development of data analysis tools with, for instance, Matlab or
Python and data acquisition systems such as NI Labview.
- Practical experience with breadth of metrology techniques and
system design, including high energy density plasma systems, such
as laser or discharge produced plasmas.
- High-precision optical metrology development, including
associated high-speed data acquisition and integration with control
system functionality.SkillsWorking at the cutting edge of tech,
you'll always have new challenges and new problems to solve - and
working together is the only way to do that. You won't work in a
silo. Instead, you'll be part of a creative, dynamic work
environment where you'll collaborate with supportive colleagues.
There is always space for creative and unique points of view.
You'll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle
tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you'll need the following skills:
- The successful candidate will not only have excelled in their
technical field, but will have demonstrated inter-personal and
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and
knowledge to various audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project
involving multiple stakeholders and constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team
and lead investigation and research efforts.Diversity &
InclusionASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and
respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is
the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote
persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and
inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.Other
information#LI-JAMEOE AA M/F/Veteran/DisabilityNeed to know more
about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked
Keywords: ASML, San Diego , EUV Scientist - Research and Technology Development, IT / Software / Systems , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!