Technical Expert, Animal Care Lead
Location: La Jolla
Posted on: April 18, 2019
The Technical Expert Lead's primary responsibility is to apply lab
animal technical skills in supporting Pfizer's Worldwide R&D
(WRD) research programs using animals while supporting husbandry
procedures in the animal facility. The Technical Expert is
recognized as a subject matter expert with comprehensive knowledge
and detailed understanding of procedures and practices associated
with animal care, in-vivo research, husbandry and facility support.
He/she works with the Comparative Medicine (CM) manager to deliver
operational support for the animal facility and trains and mentors
less experienced colleagues while demonstrating positive leadership
qualities. All duties require minimal supervision.
- Support research by providing specialty technical services
(dose administration, blood collection, blood and tissue
collection, data collection, record keeping and additional
services) in support of WRD research programs.
- Perform routine animal husbandry and welfare duties. Observe
and report status of animal health, food and water consumption,
appearance and behavior to veterinary staff.
- Required to work with all species across the site with
assignments based on the business needs.
- Set a workplace standard through leading by example, showing
mastery of all SOP's, regulatory guidelines and Pfizer policies.
Exemplify work- place standards, positive habits and behaviors to
- Maintain complete records and assure the standards for
documentation and record keeping.
- Train and instruct CM personnel in proper techniques, SOP's,
regulatory guidelines and general duties associated with animal
care and welfare.
- Prioritizes own work flow. May assist with scheduling and
allocating the work of others and establishing their priorities and
monitoring resources for the group.
- Assist the facility manager in identifying the need for
updating, upgrading or initiating procedures.
- Proactively identifies and resolves potential problems with
basic complexity. Looks beyond the immediate problem to the wider
- Develops or adapts new processes and procedures for work area
to improve performance and increase efficiency, consciously
balancing the risk and reward trade-off.
- Assists the Facility Manager with recommendations for facility
maintenance needs, updates and general repairs.
- Adhere to Pfizer and departmental safety policies and
departmental SOPs and guidelines.
- Comprehensive computer knowledge such as email, online forms,
web- based training and other basic programs. Collect and input
data in support of research projects. Confident in the use of
technology and embraces its utilization in the workplace.
- May be required to work under one of the following: the United
States Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act and associated
Regulations and Standards, the Guide for the Care and Use of
Laboratory Animals, Good Laboratory Practices, Public Health
Service Policy and/or AAALAC accreditation standards.
- High school degree or GED required with a minimum of 5 years of
- LATG required
- Ability to demonstrate level of technical skills and
- Associates or BS/BA in related field preferred.
- Extensive technical and husbandry experience working with
animals required; experience working in a pharmaceutical or
research setting strongly preferred.
This is an essential personnel role: Essential Personnel are
defined as the staff who are required to report to their designated
work location, to ensure the operation of essential functions or
departments during an emergency, as determined by Pfizer, or when
the business has suspended operations. There are some individuals
who may be required to perform essential services remotely and
those individuals will be identified in advance and notified by
their supervisors, but in most cases Essential Personnel are
required to be on-site during an emergency or suspension of
- Ability to perform repetitive physical activities such as:
pushing and pulling racks of caging, lifting and moving water
bottles, bags of feed and bedding, reaching, stooping and
- Ability to move 50 pound bags of feed and bedding and a
Functional Capacity Evaluation may be required.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Scheduled weekend working required - Will have to work weekends
on regular occasion, may have to work one weekend day as part of
ADDITIONAL OFFER DETAILS
- Additional Location Information: La Jolla, CA
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: Yes
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and
conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,
disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all
applicable national, state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care
providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and
implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer
to provide government agencies with information such as a health
care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other
value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further
legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which
Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for
licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value
under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine
Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs
recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we
pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments
made currently will be reported to the government. If you have
questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact
your Talent Acquisition representative.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each
jurisdiction in which it operates.
Keywords: Pfizer, San Diego , Technical Expert, Animal Care Lead, IT / Software / Systems , La Jolla, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!