Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 19, 2019
Location San Diego - CA, US Level Bachelor Experience 0-2 Starter
Functional Area EUV Background Software Engineering Travel No
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and
technology to develop lithography machines that are key to
producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We
design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced
machines, which enable our customers - the world's leading
chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of
their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful
consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the
Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United
States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San
Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined
in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. -- 730, et
seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access
such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business
demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are
immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
We are looking for software engineers who have a passion for
designing and coding software for a distributed control system.
Join Cymer/ASML and you will be joining a team that operates in a
fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to
create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to
support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology
You will work with software architects and control system engineers
as you develop software in response to the software and controls
requirement and design documents. You will get to participate in
designing for excellence, keeping in mind all the -cities and
-abilities like reusability, modularity, simplicity,
maintainability, --- You will get to use UML to capture your
design, you will also get to lead projects of small to medium size
where you can analyze complex issues, determine the best test
methodologies, and contribute in all aspects of the software
development, build, test and release cycle.
Your universe will not just be the software team in San Diego, or
even the controls team in San Diego, it will be your colleagues in
all the functional teams in San Diego and Veldhoven, and as we try
to meet our resource and budget challenges you will also work with
our partners near-site, off-site as well as offshore.
And you may ask, what does the control system software do? Well,
the control loops involve data exchange at speeds up to 100 kHz
while data collection for diagnostics purposes is done at up to
1Khz rate. There is interaction between control loops running on
quad core boards and platform software that runs on IBM
bladecenter. Data is stored on board in postgres databases and is
shipped via the fab network to data servers in San Diego. And our
graphical user interface developed using Qt serves a complex set of
users - operators, engineers, scientists and customers. And we
don't forget safety, the control system has a Siemens PLC to ensure
both human safety is ensured and machine damage is prevented.
Come and join our journey and you will be challenged and rewarded
as you work alongside a group of talented, passionate and
fun-loving engineers. You can tell your friends - I work on
semiconductor lithography machines that allow the printing of finer
features for the next generation of chips that power the
innovations in the world today.
- Understand the software response to system and controls
requirements, develop software based on software requirements and
design, create Test Specification Documents, and deliver software
solutions of highest quality
- Work in hard and soft real time domain with complex hardware
interfaces and various communication protocols (TCP/IP, Ethercat,
- Ability to develop code for a distributed control system. The
coding will require programming in different languages (C++,
Python) on different OS environments (VxWorks, CentOS).
- Conform to the approved Software Development Process and the
Program Development Process, and be an active champion of process
- Utilize knowledge to design software for large complex
- Articulate (verbal and written) the design decisions and
implementations made to management at Cymer /ASML, its development
partners and the customer.
- Participates in the screening and selection of software
development team members and in the mentoring of new software
development team members.
Requires Minimum of BS in Computer Science, or other related eng or
science fields. MS or Ph.D in relevant field is a plus.
- Minimum of 6 years in technical software development role
- Experience in leadership or designing software for a complex
multi-processor distributed control system is a plus.
- Proven ability to guide a team in coding efforts for a
distributed control system. The coding will require programming in
different languages (C++, Python) on different OS environments
- Delivered 3+ mid to large scale software projects with
- Hands on experience with refactoring for performance and
scalability - complex multi-processor distributed control system is
- Curious and current on emerging software methodologies
- Strong C++ and/or Python knowledge, Object Oriented Design
principles and embedded development
- Ability to handle aggressive deadlines with agility and results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and
effectively report problems through written and/or graphical
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced
understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic
- Ability to quickly develop and understand complex control
systems including embedded real-time, application layers, CORBA
interface and it's associated hardware environment.
- Ability to independently determine technical solutions
including test documentation.
- Technical expert of data management, TCP/IP and other similar
- Applies advanced knowledge of design methodologies.
- Demonstrates sophisticated knowledge in utilizing design
engineering tools, systems analysis and design, and database
- Project leadership skills.
- Ability to follow a Software Development Process that includes
elements of planning, estimation, gathering and analyzing
requirements, developing concepts and designs, implementation,
developing and executing test plans' and engaging in work product
- Ability to interact effectively with other team members as well
as individuals in other disciplines and organizations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and
- Some travel required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely
is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard,
finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and
ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact
with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to be on call and work hours as required to solve
problems that arise with internal and external customers. External
customers could be outside the US.
- The environment requires working with a firing laser (which is
noisy) and/or working in a manufacturing clean room environment
from time to time.
Keywords: ASML, San Diego , Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!