Scientist I, Analytical Development
Company: AveXis Inc.
Location: San Diego
Posted on: January 17, 2020
OverviewReady to join a team committed to moving gene therapies
into the clinical and commercial settings for patients and families
devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is
advancing cutting-edge science to treat rare and life-threatening
genetic diseases starting with our clinical-stage, proprietary gene
therapy candidate, AVXS-101 (ZOLGENSMA--). We are in the midst of
an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to
join us on this important mission.AveXis, Inc., a Novartis company,
is a gene therapy company, dedicated to developing and
commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare
and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial
product, ZOLGENSMA--, is our proprietary gene therapy product for
the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy, or SMA, the leading
genetic cause of infant mortality. In addition to developing
AVXS-101 to treat SMA, we also plan to develop other novel
treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome
(RTT) and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1)
gene.AveXis is seeking a highly motivated and competent entry level
Scientist to join the growing, dynamic multidisciplinary Analytical
Development department. The person will contribute to the
development and optimization of phase-appropriate bioassays for the
lot release, stability testing and characterization of drug
substance/drug product. In addition, he/she will participate in
exploratory studies driving the evaluation of state-of-the-art new
technology platforms, and innovative upgrades for existing assay
- Planning and execution of experiments that contribute to
bioassay development, optimization and qualification/validation,
suitable for drug product stability studies and lot
- Assist in authoring of technical reports and SOPs.
- Support technology transfer of methods to internal QC group
- Work with junior research associates on experimental design,
troubleshooting, assay optimization and data interpretation, as
- Interpret and present data at group and departmental
- Collaborate within the Bioassay group and provide support to
collaborating functional groups, as needed.
- Participate in exploratory assay development efforts to bring
new technologies or assays to the Analytical Development
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Cell Biology or related discipline, such
- B.S. with 7-10 years or M.S. with 2-5 years (no more than 5
years) of biopharma industry experience, with knowledge and
hands-on experience with various analytical methods
- For example, Western Blot, ELISA, MSD, ELISpot, Flow
Cytometry/FACS, Luminescence/Fluorescence plate-based assays,
- Experience with High-Content imaging and image analysis is a
plus, but not required.
- High level of proficiency with Cell Culture standard methods
such as aseptic technique, cell culture media preparation,
maintenance of mammalian cell lines and cryopreservation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and optimizing bioassays
independently with limited guidance by the senior scientist.
- Ability to obtain frontier scientific knowledge and skills by
learning from literature or conferences.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, team-orientated
environment with aggressive timelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience and understanding of phase-appropriate analytical
assay development, qualification, and validation obtained from 1-2
years of experience in GxP environment is a significant plus, but
- Experience with analytical and/or statistical software (e.g.,
JMP, Softmax Pro, XLfit, Gen5 etc.), is highly beneficial.
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments based on thorough
understanding of assay principles.
- Familiarity with virology is a plus. The level of this position
will be based on the final candidate's qualifications. Please note
this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
that are required of the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or
without notice. AveXis is committed to creating a diverse
environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity,
national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or
veteran status. #LI-JH1
Keywords: AveXis Inc., San Diego , Scientist I, Analytical Development, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!