Senior Data Solutions Specialist
Company: ICW Group Insurance Companies
Location: San Diego
Posted on: April 8, 2021
The purpose of this job is to understand the business landscape
architecture, digest the business hurdles and build data solutions
around it. This position will act as a data advisory member of the
Actuarial, Business Intelligence (BI), Data & Analytics, Product &
Pricing, and Data Program teams, as well as a collaborator and
contributor to Enterprise Architecture. The position will
collaborate with the functional areas to solve unique and complex
Analytics, BI & Data Architecture, or business-significant
problems, to build capabilities and help shape technology strategy.
This position requires understanding of insurance domain, different
Lines of Business (LOBs), and systems to collect data and come up
with solutions to increase data maturity, effectiveness and to
enable faster and better, data-informed decision-making. ESSENTIAL
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Builds advanced analytics solutions
that ensure data integrity and information usability for
enterprise-wide decision making.--
- Builds data solutions that make the best use of the Cloud
platforms like Amazon Web Service (AWS) and analytics services by
understanding the business, technology, and data landscape.
- Designs large scale, high-performance data processing systems
(batch and/or streaming) to drive business growth and improve the
- Collaborates with product management, BI and advanced analytics
teams in implementing various data streams.
- Leads data initiatives to ensure pipelines are reliable,
efficient, testable, and maintainable.
- Designs data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to
meet critical product and business requirements.
- Contributes to tooling and standards to improve the
productivity and quality of output for data engineers across the
- Assists in analysis of complex data elements and systems, data
flow and in development of conceptual, logical, and physical data
models as well as verification and implementation of ETL/ELT
mappings and transformation logic. Partners with project management
and other engineering teams in determining overall data solutions.
- Works collaboratively as a key contributor on a high performing
team which delivers code and value.
- Shares knowledge and contributes to solution application
development on multiple large-scale, business critical
- Creates solution artifacts and presents to business and
- Engages and partners with architecture teams to clearly
understand the system design and roadmap.
- Collaborates with the Enterprise Architecture team to
conceptualize, design, and implement application and data
architecture. Leads and facilitates all technical and data aspects
of several initiatives.
- Analyzes and translates business needs into long-term solution
- Works with the development team to create conceptual, logical,
and physical data models and data flows.
- Contributes towards data governance and data quality best
practices including design reviews, unit testing, code reviews, and
continuous integration and deployment.
- Collaborates with Enterprise Data Analytics (EDA) on direction
for the data & analytics technologies, standards, processes, and
architectures across the enterprise.
- Reviews modifications of existing systems for
- Collaborates in implementing components of data strategy -
Master Data Management (MDM), data virtualization etc.
- Updates and optimizes local and metadata models.
- Evaluates implemented data systems for variances,
discrepancies, and efficiency.-- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES--
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities. EDUCATION AND
EXPERIENCE-- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied
Mathematics, Engineering, or any other technology related field
required. Minimum 6 years of experience in a data integration
(Cloud/Traditional) engineering related role required. Experience
with data practices (security, data management and governance).
Experience in operations research, machine learning or optimization
a plus. Insurance experience a plus. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES,
REGISTRATIONS-- KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS Experience with AWS data stack
- S3, Glue, Redshift, Athena, EMR, Kinesis, DocumentDB, DynamoDB
etc. Experience with establishing well-organized data lakes.
Knowledge and experience with data movement tools -SSIS,
Profisee/Maestro, Alteryx (these 3 preferred), PowerCenter
Informatica, IBM Infosphere. Knowledge around enterprise web
services and APIs connectivity, protocols and best practices for
communication and integration between applications. Strong
familiarity with cloud-based services (AWS) and container
technologies (Docker/Kubernetes) --Experience setting up and
optimizing data warehouses. Background in data modeling and
performance tuning in relational and no-SQL databases. A
self-starter mentality that thrives in a rapidly changing,
fast-paced environment and tolerates ambiguity while demonstrating
problem-solving with limited supervision. Strong analytical and
time management skills. Self-motivated and able to handle tasks
with minimal supervision. Must be organized, detail oriented, and
able to multi-task. Ability to work well under pressure and deliver
results with tight deadlines and under changing priorities, Ability
to cross collaborate with multiple teams and offer value-added
solutions to meet objectives. Strong verbal and written
communication skills. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS---- Office environment
- no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and
employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and
hear. COMPETENCIES-- This position maps to the Individual
Contributor level. Additional competencies required: None. WORK
ENVIRONMENT This position operates in an office environment and
requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier and
other standard office equipment.
Keywords: ICW Group Insurance Companies, San Diego , Senior Data Solutions Specialist, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!