Senior Data Scientist, Membership Programs
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together
to support the most exciting missions in the world!
As a Senior Data Scientist in the newly created Enterprise
Analytics and Data Science team at Petco, you'll work on projects
to build Petco's Omnichannel experience by working on machine
learning models with a focus on membership programs and customers.
These ML models will help discover insights that drive customer,
operational and product strategy for Stores, eCommerce and
Services. A majority of your time will be spent working on the
- Data generation: Use customer interactions in newly created
widgets and webpages to build datasets that can be consumed by
various models and reports in the company.
- Analytical modeling: Data modeling, exploratory data analysis,
and feature selection using advanced statistical methods and
- Model Validation: Calibrating models to provide interpretable
and repeatable outputs by using various metrics like ROC, RMSE,
quantile loss, etc.
- Deployment: Model output will be consumed by various teams to
create a customer experience that is the best in the industry.
- Documentation: Clear documentation of the objective,
statistical model, and results.
Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to perform
all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a
- Build, maintain, optimize, and productionize machine learning
frameworks to quantify the impact our actions on Petco's
- Create new data pipelines using the latest technologies that
seamlessly integrate with multiple databases at Petco.
- Retrieve, synthesize, and present critical data in a format
that is immediately useful to answering specific questions or
improving system performance.
- Identify scalable opportunities by analyzing historical data
and collaborate with business stakeholders to assess their
- Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data
sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model
- Provide requirements to develop analytic capabilities,
platforms, and pipelines.
- Apply statistical or machine learning knowledge to identify and
solve specific business problems and data.
- Conduct written and verbal presentation to share insights and
recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical
- Utilize code (Python/R/SQL) for data analyzing and modeling
- Conducts tracking and measurement of KPIs related to multiple
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and
written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis
on company interests.
- Independently prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks within
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as
required, assigned and directed.
Education and Experience
- MS/PhD in Statistics, Math, Engineering, Economics or related
- Previous experience working with Machine Learning/Deep Learning
for real world problems is a must
- Related experience in a retail organization and/or a
subscription-based business is a strong plus
- 4+ years' experience in business analytics and data
- Proficient with SQL
- Proficiency with multiple analytics tools required; Python or R
- Hands on experience with BI tools; Tableau /R shiny/Looker
- Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity,
prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic
- Ability to explain/present complicated/advanced analytical
methodology and results to non-technical audiences
- Must be self-driven and passionate about retail and must be
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent quantitative modeling, statistical analysis skills
and problem-solving skills.
Most tasks are performed while seated indoors at a personal
computer. Limited travel to vendors, seminars and/or conferences
may be required periodically throughout the year.
Interaction with numerous internal departments including, but
not limited to Information Systems, Analytical Services,
Merchandising, Content, Creative and Marketing are a nearly daily
occurrence and may range from the routine exchange of information
to the analyses, evaluation and resolution of complex logistical
issues. Externally, the position will work with technology &
creative partners, and product/service vendors usually exchanging
information, providing instruction, or resolving somewhat complex
The above description is meant to provide an overview/summary of
the nature and level of work being performed; it should not be
construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and
requirements of the job. Petco reserves the right to modify the
content formally or informally, either verbally or in writing, at
any time without advance notice and employees are required to
follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by their
supervisor. Further, all employment at Petco is of an at-will
nature and, as such, the company reserves its right to terminate
any position or employee (with or without notice and with or
without cause) within its discretion.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected
veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Keywords: PetCo, San Diego , Senior Data Scientist, Membership Programs, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!