Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Company: Loxo Oncology, Inc.
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Loxo Oncology at Lilly conducts discovery research, clinical
development and regulatory affairs for oncology, with the goal of
creating a pipeline of therapies that have the potential to make a
meaningful difference for patients. Loxo Oncology at Lilly was
created in December 2019, combining the Lilly Research Laboratories
oncology organization and Loxo Oncology, which was acquired by
Lilly in early 2019. The unit has team members in Boulder, CO,
Indianapolis, IN, New York City, NY, South San Francisco, CA, San
Diego, CA, Stamford, CT, and Madrid, Spain.
Loxo Oncology at Lilly has an immediate opening for an
experienced Director of Medicinal Chemistry. The Loxo Oncology at
Lilly Drug Discovery team's mission is to invent life-changing
targeted therapies for cancer patient populations that are poorly
treated by existing therapies. To that end, we have built a
multi-disciplinary team of dedicated drug discovery scientists who
are passionate about driving the science forward to create highly
selective drugs for known oncogenic drivers. We are currently
looking for accomplished medicinal chemistry professional with a
proven track records of success in small molecule drug discovery.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about leading from the bench
to guide a team of Medicinal Chemists in solving medicinal
chemistry challenges and will excel at working closely with
scientists across disciplines. The position requires excellent
people skills, a positive can-do attitude, and the ability to
thrive in a highly interactive, fast-paced, team environment.
Role and Responsibilities for the Position
- Lead one or more teams of medicinal chemists to drive drug
discovery programs from inception to candidate nomination.
- Empower the medicinal chemists on the team to develop a deep
expertise and practical knowledge in all aspects of medicinal
chemistry design including structure-based design, multi-variant
SAR analysis, selectivity optimization , ADME and PK optimization,
and developing robust IP positions. Apply sound scientific methods
to propose hypotheses and determine next steps.
- Apply strategic thinking to advance projects quickly by
employing the right strategic focus to solve the unique challenges
each project presents.
- Grow the chemistry team to be highly effective in reducing
ideas to practice by employing a broad range of modern organic
chemistry transformations, synthetic methods, purification, and
- Expand the group's productivity by effectively leading CRO
relationships and proactively investigating new or different
technologies to improve the -efficiency of the drug discovery
- Collaborate closely with the other Discovery disciplines to
enable project success. Synergize with the broader team by
communicating results, sharing insights, making plans, and setting
goals in an open, honest way.
- Champion bringing new classes of targets or new modalities of
target inhibition (e.g. degraders) to expand the breadth of our
- Communicate often and well with translational and clinical
groups to develop and refine clinically informed, mechanistically
grounded Target Product Profiles with a high confidence in
providing drugs candidates meaningful benefits to patients.
- Present project updates that clearly convey progress and
challenges to Loxo Leadership and Scientific Advisory Boards in
formal and informal settings.
- Contribute the business development evaluation of in-license
- Synergize with other Loxo Oncology at Lilly leaders on
identifying and advancing new targets into the portfolio.
- A passion for making drugs that can provide a real benefit for
- Deep expertise in leading small molecule drug discovery
programs in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company setting.
- Proven track record of success in advancing programs from leads
to advanced candidates.
- Direct management experience leading medicinal chemistry
- An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in synthetic organic
chemistry and 12+ years of relevant experience.
- An excellent leader and team player with ability to communicate
synergistically with a multidisciplinary team and be accountable
for the medicinal chemistry progress of the project. Highly
organized with excellent analytical, documentation, time
management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong passion for growing the organization's talent and
capabilities to stay abreast of new technologies and tackle new
targets with the single-minded focus on helping patients.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform the role and responsibilities satisfactorily. The
requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Loxo Oncology, Inc. is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other
legally protected status.
Keywords: Loxo Oncology, Inc., San Diego , Director, Medicinal Chemistry, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!