Senior Scientist - Core Antisense Research
Company: Ionis Pharmaceuticals
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the 2020 Best Places to Work
in San Diego, is located in the North San Diego County city of
Carlsbad. Ionis was founded in 1989 and was purposely designed to
create a better, more efficient drug discovery platform, establish
a new innovation-centered business model, and maximize the value of
every medicine created and get it to the people who need it most as
quickly and as efficiently as possible.
With the RNA molecule as the basis of our novel drug discovery
platform, we are targeting an unprecedented range of therapeutic
areas. Our antisense therapies are disrupting diseases and changing
their course-from the rarest of conditions, to those that impact
millions of people. We currently have three commercial products and
more than 40 potentially transformative medicines in our pipeline
designed to treat a broad range of diseases.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment
designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our
success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are
interested in bringing together individuals with different skill
sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive
team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop
and expand your career.
SENIOR SCIENTIST - CORE ANTISENSE RESEARCH
The selected candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary team
of energetic researchers who are focused on unraveling the complex
mechanisms underlying antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) drugs. The
emphasis will be to understand mechanisms of ASO action in cells
and intracellular trafficking pathways of ASOs.
- A Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or related
- At least 2 years of post-doctoral research experience.
- Broad knowledge and experimental experience with nucleic
acid-protein interactions, RNA biology, intracellular trafficking,
membrane and cytoskeleton are desired.
- Track record of innovative research and scientific publications
in the related field.
- Skills/experience in RNA biology, protein complex purification,
confocal imaging, and antisense technology are highly
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication
- An ability to work both independently and as a team member, and
be productive and successful in an intense work environment.
- Responsible for investigating how ASO drugs work in cells, with
a goal to improve the drug design and to expend antisense
- Specifically studies how ASO drugs enter and traffic in cells,
endosomal release, the intracellular action sites of ASOs,
interactions of ASOs with cellular proteins and RNAs, and the
consequences of such interactions on the performance of the ASO
drugs and biological processes.
- Develop approaches to enhance endosomal release of ASOs.
- Emphasis on understanding the mechanisms of ASO-directed, RNase
H cleavage of target RNAs.
- Develop new antisense mechanisms to modulate gene expression
with clinical application.
- Investigates the structure-activity relationships of
ASO/protein, ASO/RNA, and RNA/protein interactions on the
performance of ASOs.
- Works with a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers
who are focused on unraveling the complex mechanisms underlying
- Conducts studies to understand the mechanisms of how antisense
drugs work in cells using different techniques including but not
limited to cell culture and treatment, small animal handling,
DNA/Protein and essentially RNA manipulation,
oligonucleotide/Protein and protein-protein interactions, gene
expression manipulation, structure-activity relationship study,
subcellular localization and trafficking analysis using both
biochemistry and cell biology approaches.
- Present and publish research data.
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position,
please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud
to be EEO employers.
Keywords: Ionis Pharmaceuticals, San Diego , Senior Scientist - Core Antisense Research, Other , Carlsbad, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!