Company: Ajinomoto Foods North America
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 16, 2022
This position will assist the Food Safety & Quality Assurance
(FSQA) Manager with basic supervision and the direction of the FSQA
staff as well as serving as backup for the FSQA Manager in all
quality and food safety matters when the FSQA Manager is not
present. The responsibilities include conducting quality audits,
perform pre-operational inspections of equipment and processing
areas, gatherand compile production samples, provide incoming
ingredient inspections, monitor and ensure compliance with facility
HACCP,SSOP, Quality and GMP programs. This position will work on
multiple tasks at a time while making decisions independently and
handle themselves calmly in stressful situations. There will be
travel to cold storage facilities as well as suppliers to conduct
ingredient inspections, supplier approvals, and other special
- Complete all required activities as defined by the Food Safety
& Quality Assurance Manager.
- Supervise staff of technicians to closely monitor product
quality and food safety to ensure compliance to Ajinomoto Foods
North America, Inc. (AFNA) standards.
- Assure adequate staffing by working with the FSQA Manager to
evaluate new hires, and conducting performance evaluations of the
- Develop thorough knowledge of AFNA FSQA and Safe Quality Foods
(SQF) policies and effectively enforce them in a timely manner.
Make recommendations regarding policy changes, additions and
- Develop, implement, manage programs and food safety staff that
maintain and optimize the facilities quality and food safety
- Under the direction of the FSQA Manager, develop, test, and
implement quality operational procedures, practices, requirements
and standards, according to scientifically sound protocols (e.g.
SPC, HACCP, SOPs), to assure all products meet AFNA quality, food
safety and regulatory requirements.
- Verify full implementation of the HACCP, SSOP and GMP
requirements and programs, and modify them according to changes in
regulatory requirements or needs of the facility.
- Will work with the FSQA Manager to develop and implement
programs to monitor Customer Care consumer complaint reports and
assist with the response to customer complaints, potential food
borne illnesses, including the development of crisis plans, and the
communication of these responses and plans to local
- Ensure compliance with all USDA and other applicable government
statutes and regulations.
- Be available to work different shifts as required by the FSQA
- Knowledgeable of all purchased ingredients, their usage and
ideal product conditions, including labeling, USDA regulatory
compliance, and direct quality testing for adherence to
- Ensure all outgoing and received products & ingredients meet
AFNA specifications and quality parameters and are stored in a safe
and sanitary manner, as well as special storage circumstances
(frozen, refrigerated and dry warehousing).
- Ensure and maintain FIFO (First-In-First-Out) procedures are
followed and that proper tracking capabilities are implemented as
the products circulate throughout the facility.
- Knowledgeable of proper handling of all products and able to
develop new policies and procedures to improve quality and
- Under the direction of the FSQA Manager, collaborate with other
facility departmental managers and supervisors to ensure the
training and enforcement of new procedures.
- Maintain quality checkpoints to ensure compliance to quality &
food safety standards during production, storage and shipping.
- Ensure all product specifications are up to date, for both
ingredients and packaging materials.
- Assure full knowledge of recall system, regulatory authority
and crisis communications is required, along with minimum annual
test of effectiveness and modification when necessary.
- Microbiological knowledge required, and ability to design and
execute sanitation programs to manage and reduce microbiological
risks. Knowledge of microbiological lab testing protocols,
particularly the positive swab investigation procedure is
- Knowledgeable of standard packaging equipment, requirements,
materials and procedures. Ensure all AFNA products are properly
packaged, labeled with appropriate nutritional and USDA
information, and date coded accordingly. Qualifications Must be
able to read, write, speak and understand English. Must have clear
understanding of HACCP, GMP, SSOP guidelines. Possess good working
knowledge of microbiological testing procedures. Must have
excellent communication and leadership skills. Must possess basic
computer skills and knowledge with an emphasis on Microsoft
- BS degree in Food Science, Meat Science, Microbiology, Biology
or other science equivalent required.
- Certifications for HACCP and/or PCQI are required unless
covered by another designee. Certifications through ASQ, SQF, GFSI
and other professional quality associations are helpful.
- Minimum 5 years Quality Control/Quality Assurance experience in
USDA food manufacturing environment with at least half of
experience being in a supervisory capacity is required. Frozen food
experience preferred, but not mandatory.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or
government regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence and procedural manuals. Ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, clients, customers and the public.
- Fluency in English (Written and Verbal) required
Keywords: Ajinomoto Foods North America, San Diego , FSQA Supervisor, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!