Seasonal Bakery Clerk - Store #21 Part-time
Company: Northgate Markets
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 25, 2022
JOB SUMMARY: To maintain and operate the bakery department in an
efficient manner within company policy; to ensure that the shift
contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include,
but are not limited to, the following:
* Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times
and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or
hair net and uniform.
* Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise; check and
verify receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are
all delivered; check products for quality, count, and
* Keep all bakery ingredients or merchandise rotated in accordance
with store policy and product code dates and always use the oldest
products first (first in, first out).
* Take stock to storage or shelf areas.
* Reduce out-of-code merchandise daily for quick sale to maintain
department's image for the highest quality and freshness.
* Wrap, package and price all product accurately and legibly in
accordance with established department procedures and
* Answer phones and take special orders. Greet customers to our
store when encountered or as applicable.
* Control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound
conservation practices. .
* Keep all merchandising areas stocked and properly faces at all
times in accordance with department standards; display merchandise
in an attractive, appealing, neat and colorful manner.
* Maintain general housekeeping as well as a regular cleaning
program that meets the standards established for the department,
including full compliance with all state and local health
* Check refrigeration equipment for proper performance at least
once per shift.
* Use and maintain equipment in orderly manner; immediately advise
department manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
* Secure register prior to leaving a register unattended; protect
company assets at all times.
* Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or
assigned by Bakery team leader.
* Keep manager or other designated personnel informed of low
inventory conditions or excessive spoilage problems.
* Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code
regulations including full compliance with all applicable laws
pertaining to safety, health and packaging requirements.
* Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
* Maintain good communications in the department and throughout the
* Assist in training associates and coworkers when directed to do
* Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy
violations having an adverse effect on department or store
operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary
action or that may potentially require such action.
* Assist in training associates and coworkers when directed to do
* Comply with safety policies and procedures; read all the safety
* Must comply with company compliance initiatives (example:
* The associate must occasionally exert or lift up to 50 pounds
carrying boxes of records, forms and frequently exert or lift
moderate amounts of weight.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
* High school education or equivalent preferred but not
* Minimum of one year experience in full bakery operations and
procedures; or equivalent combination of education and
* Health department training required.
* Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
gross margins, markup, percentages, proportions, ratios, and volume
and to apply concepts of basic algebra in order to handle sales
transactions, tender change and verify vendor invoice charges and
* Be able to accurately complete required reports including daily
sales reports, inventory counts, receiving logs, and cash
accountability or cash reconciliation and audit forms.
* Be able to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to
respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal
requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer
telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with
supervisors, coworkers and customers.
* Ability to read, write, and understand the English language
effectively in order to read and understand:
* instructions for operating ovens, fryers, fire suppression system
and other mechanical and electronic equipment
* company handbooks, policies and procedures
* other written job-related documents including safety notices and
other postings on company bulletin boards
* Be fully knowledgeable in the various types of products carried
in the department.
* Be able to handle special orders including calculating proper
price adjustments when putting together mix-and-match orders from
multiple price categories.
* Be thoroughly knowledgeable and familiar with the method and
procedures for performing all baking tasks including safety and
* Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being
drug-free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the
Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some
requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle,
finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
* The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 70 pounds
carrying bulk containers of flour, sugar, lard and other materials
and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
* Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that
include close vision and the ability to adjust focus with
sufficient visual acuity to examine vendor invoices, analyze
reports and other written documents.
* Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items from
overhead or elevated storage shelves and racks; be able to perform
routine cleaning and maintenance duties including lifting of both
heavy and light amounts of weight.
* Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to
respond quickly to fire or other emergencies.
* Be able to work with bakery ingredients and spices including
finely powdered substances, meat products, and produce without
suffering adverse allergic consequences that affect the ability of
the employee to successfully perform the duties of the job.
* Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes
from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during
routine housekeeping duties.
* The work environment includes occasional exposure to refrigerated
frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as 20 degrees
(Fahrenheit) below zero.
* The work environment includes frequent exposure to heated ovens
and high temperatures.
* The atmospheric environment may occasionally contain airborne
particles of flour, spices, and other finely powdered ingredients
and frequent aromatic odors.
* Typically, the noise level in the work environment is
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions,
experience, educational factors, and the requirements and
conditions listed in this job description are representative only
and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to
perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time and to require employees to perform other
tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work
Keywords: Northgate Markets, San Diego , Seasonal Bakery Clerk - Store #21 Part-time, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!