Talent Search Advisor
Company: SDSU Research Foundation
Location: San Diego
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The San Diego State University (SDSU) Talent Search Program is
an educational opportunity program housed within the Pre-College
Institute (PCI). PCI promotes college access and completion for
underserved students through excellence and innovation in
education. - Talent Search is funded by the Department of Education
to assist low-income, first-generation, culturally diverse high
school students as they prepare for postsecondary education. - -The
Talent Search program has an opening for a part-time advisor,
located at Lincoln and Crawford High Schools. This position will
require in-person work at least three days a week, with the option
to complete some - meetings and job tasks remotely. The position is
ideal for candidates currently in graduate school for education or
school counseling, or recent college graduates considering a career
in school counseling, teaching, or social work. Selected candidates
will receive ongoing training from staff experienced in college
guidance and student support, as well as professional development
opportunities based in reflective and restorative practices. -
Under the supervision of the Director, Office of Community
Engagement, the Advisor will assist in the implementation of a
comprehensive program to ensure the effective delivery of
educational support services to low-income and/or potential
first-generation college-bound high school students. -Incumbent
must have a beginning knowledge of the principles, practices, and
procedures of student outreach services and six months experience
in working with diverse cultural groups in San Diego County. The
incumbent must demonstrate a beginning knowledge of: group and
individual behavior, individual counseling techniques, and
socio-cultural issues inherent to ethnic diversity. The position
involves advising for college access at Talent Search approved
schools by providing assistance in completing college applications
for admission, financial aid, housing, and special programs. The
incumbent will also advise students on meeting academic and
extra-curricular requirements for college access and will refer
students to appropriate supports such as additional tutoring.
-During the summer months, the incumbent will receive training and
will implement the project's Destination:College services.
-Participant Recruitment - 30 %
- Take part in recruitment presentations.
- Assist with the selection of program participants.
- Work with Information Coordinator to update recruitment matrix
on a weekly basis.Counseling/Advising - 30 %
- Provide advising services to participants at school sites.
These services include, but are not limited to personal
problem-solving, academic advisement, building positive peer
support, enhancing communication skills, career planning, academic
skill building, study skills and motivational counseling. -
- Assist with college admissions and financial aid advising with
- Conduct regular follow-up with contacts at school sites.
- Supervise students on field trips and other special
- Assist with school-based club meetings.Documentation - 30%
- Collect and properly handle student documents: program
eligibility forms, transcripts, progress reports, permission slips,
test/assessment data, and other data as deemed necessary.
- Document services and activities: student contacts,
participation, case notes, and other services.Program Assistance -
- Aid the project with making materials, including flyers.
- Attend team meetings and trainings other Pre-College Institute
- Attend professional training meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Education
- NoneDesired Qualifications & Skills
- BA or equivalent in field related to program/project such as
Education or Psychology, Social Work, or Child and Family
- Bilingual in English and another language spoken by Talent
Search's constituent groups is desired.
- At least two years' experience at pre-professional level in
advising/mentoring high school students or middle school
- Experience assisting with event planning and implementation for
groups of thirty or more is highly desired.
- Knowledge of TRIO programs and regulations is preferred.
- Familiarity with the use of Excel.
- Knowledge of entrance requirements for the public colleges and
universities in California.ADDITIONAL APPLICANT INFORMATION:
- The COVID-19 vaccine is required by the CSU for all SDSU
Research Foundation employees as a condition of employment. -
-Should you be offered a position, you will be required to provide
proof of vaccination status. - -Individuals who obtain an approved
medical or religious exemption on file will be required to complete
regular COVID-19 testing
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be
completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a
position with SDSU Research Foundation
- San Diego State University Research Foundation is an
Keywords: SDSU Research Foundation, San Diego , Talent Search Advisor, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!