Executive Dir of Development, Sanford Stem Cell - 122502
Company: University of California
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 26, 2023
Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences Advancement, (AVC-HSA) the Executive Director of Development, Sanford Stem Cell Institute (EDOD-SSCI) is a member of the senior management team and participates in a core team to provide the AVC-HSA with strategic insight and guidance regarding Health Sciences programs and operations. The EDOD-SSCI manages confidential and sensitive issues and develops solutions and strategies to a wide range of issues.
The EDOD-SSCI manages the engagement of Health Sciences' most capable and generous donors in considering transformational, principal and major gifts to support the highest priorities for campus, Health Sciences, and SSCI. The EDOD-SSCI is responsible for managing an individual portfolio of major and principal gift prospects, which comprise a significant portion of Health Sciences' annual and campaign fundraising totals. Working closely with the AVC-HSA and other Health Sciences leadership, the EDOD-SSCI develops and leads the institutes initiatives for the UC San Diego's next campaign. In addition, the EDOD-SSCI is the principal architect of short- and long-term key program and operation strategies related to Health Sciences Advancement and SSCI campaign goals and budget priorities which may include engagement and cultivation activities such as Advisory Board and Committees, and signature and strategic events.
The EDOD-SSCI will lead the identification, qualification, fine-tuned strategic engagement, solicitation and highly personalized stewardship of high-level prospects and donors, and provide leadership in formulating and implementing effective goals, strategies and activities to secure major and principal gifts for Health Sciences and UC San Diego in concert with the overall priorities of the university, which may include targeted mini-campaigns. As the leader of SSCI's fundraising program, the EDOD-SSCI will personally secure on an annual basis private support primarily at the principal gift level ($1M +).
The EDOD-SSCI coordinates with the AVC-HSA and department development professionals to assure that all development work is in accordance with program priorities and policies, and provides strong leadership in strategizing and facilitating opportunities for major and principal gift fundraising from the community and VIP patients. Responsible for creating an environment that will enhance communication and encourage collaboration between Health Sciences Advancement and General Campus, Central Development, and other Advancement program areas. The EDOD-SSCI leads the efforts to enhance the infrastructure of the programs and provides oversight to project and budget management, analytical support and leadership for strategic goal planning, professional and team advancement, and office processes and administration.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are core values at UC San Diego and Advancement is committed to a continuous process of learning and updating practices to support systemic evolution toward equity, diversity, and inclusion for our team and constituents. We foster the UC San Diego Principles of Community by encouraging and developing a collaborative and positive environment among colleagues. UC San Diego provides resources and services so employees can develop a deeper connection to our diverse campus community. Explore more at UC San Diego Staff Associations network and Campus Community Centers.
* Expert working knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations, and public relations concepts, principles, procedures, and techniques.
* Expert knowledge of all aspects of the location, including current issues of concern for both the campus and / or throughout higher education / healthcare, generally. Expert knowledge of the location, including its vision, mission, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure.
* Expert knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, etc.
* Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen, to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies. Expert skills in making persuasive and compelling presentations of goals and objectives for a location in order to secure gifts.
* Strong organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills. Expert project / program management skills, including skills in setting and meeting program / project goals and objectives within budget and time constraints.
* Experience in coordinating, implementing, and/or managing complex, diverse programs and functions for a very diverse department. Demonstrated ability to deal at a senior executive level that includes the ability to provide appropriate counsel, recommendations on a wide variety of issues that impact individuals which may be either internal or external constituents.
* Superior ability to identify, understand, analyze, and interpret complex written materials, situations and concepts and to effectively communicate results of analysis and recommend or implement effective courses of action to AVC-HSA and HSA Senior Management team.
* Demonstrated strong leadership skills, providing vision, motivation and guidance to colleagues, a diverse volunteer constituency and campus groups.
* Excellent analytical skills to research special projects, compile complex data, write analyses and formal documents.
* Effective interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills to effectively interact tactfully and diplomatically yet assertively, in a way that does not segment off the department, the campus or the community. Skill in resolving conflicts and situations and in recognizing politically sensitive situations with diverse groups. Effectively negotiate, mediate and provide direction and decision making.
* Proven oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of people. Compose correspondence and other written materials using correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, editing, formatting, and proofreading skills to clearly and concisely provide accurate information. Ability to skillfully edit and accurately proofread.
* Advanced knowledge and the ability to develop and use computer applications and capabilities to produce correspondence, reports and newsletters. Knowledge of Internet web browsers and web page design and maintenance.
* Ability to plan, train, and direct staff and set priorities to direct others in the maintenance of established high standards of work production and ethics. Provide leadership to HSD department by means of an exemplary figure in character and ethical stature.
* Demonstrated use of initiative, creativity, and ability to problem-solve and provide recommendations or implement solutions to complex issues and needs. Recommend or implement appropriate course of action on behalf of management. Ability to properly handle sensitive issues that arise frequently in a rapidly changing environment.
* Demonstrated integrity, dependability, sound judgment, effective written and public speaking skills, team building and resourcefulness in working with other directors, volunteers and campus administrators.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality, accuracy and attention to detail to respond to unexpected job demands and keep pace with rapidly changing priorities and deadlines. Strong organizational skills, with management and leadership ability to motivate staff and to act as role model for all development operations.
* Proven success in fundraising strategies related to campaign goals and strategic design, and tactical implementation for campaigns.
* Job offer is contingent on clear Background Check.
* Must have access to reliable transportation.
* Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
Pay Transparency Act
Annual Full Pay Range: $87,000 - $202,600 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)
Hourly Equivalent: $41.67 - $97.03
Factors in determining the appropriate compensation for a role include experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. The Hiring Pay Scale referenced in the job posting is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position. The Annual Full Pay Range may be broader than what the University anticipates to pay for this position, based on internal equity, budget, and collective bargaining agreements (when applicable).
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!
Click Here to
Share this Job
Share This Page
Executive Dir of Development, Sanford Stem Cell - 122502
Share link. Copy this URL:
Recipient's email address*
Your email address*
Additional note (optional)
Your email has been sent!
Send another message - Close this window
La Jolla, CA
Job Reference #: 122502
Keywords: University of California, San Diego , Executive Dir of Development, Sanford Stem Cell - 122502, Other , San Diego, California
here to apply!