Residential Community Specialist (Contract)
Company: College of Charleston
Location: San Diego
Posted on: November 20, 2023
This is a 100% Contract position for seven months. This
appointment may be extended or converted to career status based on
the needs of the department. DESCRIPTION POSITION OVERVIEW UC San
Diego uniquely offers a vibrant undergraduate college system
designed to combine the benefits of a large research university
with the personal experience of a smaller liberal arts college.
Students enjoy access to renowned faculty, top-tier facilities, and
a choice among eight semi-autonomous undergraduate colleges:
Revelle, John Muir, Thurgood Marshall, Earl Warren, Eleanor
Roosevelt, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth, each with its own
educational philosophy, traditions, administration, and residential
environment. As part of each student affairs unit in the
undergraduate colleges the the Residence Life professional staff
play a pivotal role in the execution and embodiment of the
institution's commitment to a comprehensive, educationally
purposeful residential program. DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW Under the
supervision of the Associate Dean of Student Affairs / Director of
Residence Life in each college, the Residential Community
Specialist (contract) will play an integral role in the
operational, developmental, and crisis management aspects within
the residence life environment. They will work closely with student
staff, assisting in community development, student leadership and
involvement, training, conduct management, crisis response,
programming, and administrative support processes. The contract end
date is Sunday, June 30, 2024 and may be extended depending on
business need. General Responsibilities: 1. Student and Community
- Assist with student staff supervision, advising, and ongoing
development, particularly in the areas of wellness, community
building, conflict management, and crisis intervention.
- Facilitate community building and engagement through
- Advise and coach student leaders, assisting in communication,
leadership skills, and program development.
- Engage in transformational advising and development practices
for students. 2. Crisis Intervention and Student Conduct:
- Manage and respond to student crises, conflicts, and conduct
- Utilize established university protocol and case management
tools to track, manage, and resolve behavioral management
- Maintain connections with internal and external stakeholders
and serve as a primary contact for the Center for Student
Accountability, Growth, and Education (SAGE). 3.
- Coordinate and assist in planning student activities and
- Manage communications and collaborations for move-out and
- Develop and maintain relationships to ensure the success of
student affairs programs and initiatives. 4. Assessment:
- Create, compile, and analyze reports and metrics on program
feasibility, execution, and success.
- Continually evaluate student and staff learning and training
- Engage in strategic planning, goal setting, and improvement
implementation for departmental programs. This position allows for
hybrid working arrangements. The employee must be able to work
flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Experience and thorough knowledge of Student Affairs / Student
Life specialization. Strong understanding of the developmental and
educational context in which student conduct, student compliance,
and restorative justice programs are administered and managed.
Strong knowledge and awareness of the interrelationship of student
conduct-related policy and governmental laws with student
- Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
In-depth skills in service orientation, active listening, and
critical thinking. Ability to maintain composure, diffuse client
anger and anxiety with tact and diplomacy, and be able to follow up
consistently on all assignments and pending matters.
- Strong experience in planning, organizing, and delivering
workshops and training sessions; excellent public speaking and
presentation skills. Proven experience in conducting assessments of
training utilizing resulting data to improve services.
- Strong knowledge of common University-specific computer
application programs and knowledge of University and departmental
principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and
Keywords: College of Charleston, San Diego , Residential Community Specialist (Contract), Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!