Biomarker Senior Scientist
Location: San Diego
Posted on: November 20, 2023
By clicking the "Apply" button, I understand that my employment
application process with Takeda will commence and that the
information I provide in my application will be processed in line
that all information I submit in my employment application is true
to the best of my knowledge.
About the role:
At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D
organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative
therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on three
therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the
boundaries of what is possible in order to bring life-changing
therapies to patients worldwide.
Join Takeda as a Biomarker Senior Scientist where you will work in
the Gastroenterology Drug Discovery Unit (GI DDU) and lead efforts
focused on the discovery and validation of novel biomarkers for
certain drug targets in liver fibrosis and other chronic liver
diseases. You will have a strong scientific background in liver
fibrosis and/or metabolic diseases with experience in biomarker
identification and development. You will also be responsible for
biomarker discovery and validation efforts for novel targets and
drug candidates and independently design and implement extensive
biomarker research strategies to support multiple projects in
collaboration with internal research teams, external partners
and/or CROs. As part of the Liver Disease Research team, you will
report to the Associate Scientific Director and work with the GI
How you will contribute:
- Develop and implement new biomarker concepts for the treatment
of liver fibrosis and other chronic liver diseases. This includes
biomarker identification, development and validation etc.
- Develop and oversee novel scientific biomarker projects in
collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Establishes project direction integrating science, key
technical knowledge, and program objectives.
- Manages relevant biomarker strategy for target and drug
candidate discovery, validation and mechanism of action studies
using contemporary in vitro/ in vivo methods and tools.
- Participate on cross-functional teams and provide technical
leadership in area of expertise.
- Proactively identify complex obstacles to progress in specific
areas; recommend and implement solutions using a diverse set of
resources; regularly add value to research projects through
- Prepare technical reports, summaries and quantitative analyses
in written and/or oral form.
- Communicate with colleagues effectively.
- Present data to other scientific staff or cross-functional
project team; may present data/posters to external research or
scientific community and publish research results as
- Act as a biomarker lead to be involved in different stages of
portfolio projects to provide input and contribute to Go or NoGo
decisions for various milestones.
- Performs as a role model supporting Takeda culture and follow
- Ph.D. degree in biology, cardio/metabolic diseases, or
immunology or molecular pharmacology with 3+ years relevant
post-doc experience or equivalent drug discovery experience in a
biotech or pharmaceutical industry research setting with an
additional 2+ years of experience, or
- MS with 9+ years of experience, or
- BS with 11+ years' experience.
- Previous experience in relevant protein and RNA-based assays as
well as use of multiomic approaches for biomarker discovery,
validation or development is required.
- Previous experience in NASH/chronic liver disease or fibrotic
diseases or understanding of liver disease pathogenesis and
pre-clinical therapeutic mechanisms of action research.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design and solve
scientific problems using multiple, state-of-the-art technologies,
experimental methods, and approaches is required.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and implement a biomarker
discovery strategy for a program in an industry setting is
- Previous experience and lab skills to address various types of
biomarkers, modalities, and matrices, across animal models and
human samples is preferred.
- Previous experience with translational biomarker research and
working experience with clinical samples is preferred.
- Previous experience of using Omics platforms and collaboration
with computational biologists.
- Good understanding of current liver fibrosis biomarkers is a
- Good project management skills with a good understanding in
various scientific disciplines in drug discovery (Pharmacology,
Toxicology, DMPK, etc.) is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record by publications in scientific
- Good communication skills (oral, written, and presentation) and
a good team player.
What Takeda can offer you:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and
Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase
additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Ways of Working
- Tuition reimbursement
More about us:
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development
of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient
support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will
inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating
careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in
everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace,
in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to
deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the
Base Salary Range: $130,200.00 to $186,000.00, based on candidate
professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for
Short-term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are
eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance,
401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days &
Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time
Off. The final salary offered for this position may take into
account a number of factors including, but not limited to,
location, skills, education, and experience.
In accordance with the CO Equal Pay Act, Colorado Applicants Are
Not Permitted to Apply.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce
and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship
status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status,
status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other
protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and
local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
San Diego, CA
Keywords: Takeda, San Diego , Biomarker Senior Scientist, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!