Underwriter, Custom West, Business Insurance
Company: Liberty Mutual
Location: San Diego
Posted on: January 14, 2018
Advance Your Underwriting Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance- A Fortune 100 Company
Our Underwriter- Custom ensures a profitable book of Property and Casualty insurance business by appropriately pre-qualifying risks within delegated authority levels. Partners with agents to manage and grow a multi-line book of business by evaluating, selecting, and pricing risks primarily $25,000 and greater. Demonstrates decision-making authority under moderate supervision, recommending quality exceptions where appropriate to maximize profitability and meet business plans. Supports marketing activities to agents and actively participates in the agency management process through frequent travel and agency visits. Responsible for working with and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and Company information.
- Risk Selection: evaluates or assesses the business applying for insurance by evaluating, selecting, and pricing risks primarily $25,000 and greater; identifying, selecting and assessing risks; determining the premium, policy terms and conditions; obtaining approvals; creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Develops and maintains successful relationships with Agents and Brokers by providing stewardship with service partners, including initial setup of service commitments, and regular visits.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process,decision making, and ownership of the account, through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals when necessary.
- Leadership: Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Growth: Profitably grows assigned book of business by writing new accounts $25,000 in premium and above and successfully retaining renewal book as part of portfolio strategy. Partners with agency plant to successfully pipeline new business opportunities and initiate key renewal conversations 90 120 days in advance.
Depending on experience this position can be an UW III or Senior UW
- Intermediate-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing/selling techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance.
- Advanced-level knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, territory management.
- Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, participate in mentoring relationships, and negotiate.
- Bachelors degree, 5 years to 8 years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred.
- CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please click here.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (--16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Keywords: Liberty Mutual, San Diego, Underwriter, Custom West, Business Insurance, Other, San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!