Company: General Atomics and Affiliated Companies
Location: San Diego
Posted on: December 10, 2018
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Chemical Scientist at our location in La Jolla, CA in the Nuclear Technology and Materials Division within the Energy group. This position involves design and optimization of polymer synthesis and chemical processing steps to obtain a final product that supports the nuclear and aerospace industries. The raw materials of the process are preceramic polymers; therefore, experience in polymer product development, polymer synthesis, and familiarity with ceramics are desirable. Hands on experience in developing a product for fabrication and manufacturing is desirable. 25% travel will be required. This Scientist will be responsible for research and development of chemical processing steps and working with manufacturing personnel towards scaling up the processing methods at our GA facility in La Jolla, CA.
This position is responsible for applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual or complex engineering problems under general directions with limited review. Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives and reviewed largely at completion. Initiates the planning of research projects and develops innovative designs or modifications in order to meet project goals. Independently performs difficult/complex work with instructions as to the general expected results. Documents findings, communicates results to engineering staff, makes technical presentations, and may represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single component projects. Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Travel to subcontractor site and work with subcontractor to transition technology to GA
- Conduct chemical processing steps for polymerization and ceramic conversion.
- Ensure environment controls are met for necessary chemical processing steps.
- Provide research and development for the chemical processing steps.
- Design and optimize GA Proof of Concept L by scaling-up the chemical processing steps.
- Supports operation of engineering systems and documents any problems.
- Devises new approaches to resolve unusual or complex engineering problems.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements, difficult coordination requirements, and special material requirements.
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required.
- May represent the organization as the prime technical contact on small contracts or single component projects.
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
Travel Percentage Required
0% - 25%
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree, Masters degree or PhD in scientific or related technical field and progressively complex scientific experience as follows; four or more years experience with a Bachelors degree and two or more years experience with a Masters degree. Equivalent scientific experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Experience in polymer synthesis is required.
- Experience in with ceramics are desirable.
- Experience working in glovebox environment is required
- Experience with characterization equipment such as a viscometer, gel permeation chromatography, and liquid chromatography is desirable.
- Experience working with furnaces, hot presses, and other sintering equipment desirable.
- Experience with different ceramic matrix composite processing methods is desirable
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- A Professional Engineering License and original work published in professional engineering journals are desirable.
Keywords: General Atomics and Affiliated Companies, San Diego , Chemical Scientist, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!