Senior Scientist/ Postdoctoral Fellow
Company: Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Posted on: March 17, 2019
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials. Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career. SENIOR SCIENTIST / POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW The selected candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers who are focused on unraveling the complex mechanisms underlying antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) drugs. The emphasis will be to understand mechanisms of ASO action in cells and intracellular trafficking pathways of ASOs. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for investigating how ASO drugs work in cells, with a goal to improve the drug design and to expend antisense technology.
- Specifically studies how ASO drugs enter and traffic in cells, the intracellular action sites of ASOs, interactions of ASOs with cellular proteins and RNAs, and the consequences of such interactions on the performance of the ASO drugs and biological processes.
- Emphasis on understanding the mechanisms of ASO-directed, RNase H cleavage of target RNAs.
- Develop new antisense mechanisms to modulate gene expression with clinical application
- Investigates the structure-activity relationships of ASO/protein, ASO/RNA, and RNA/protein interactions on the performance of ASOs.
- Works with a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers who are focused on unraveling the complex mechanisms underlying antisense drugs.
- Conducts studies to understand the mechanisms of how antisense drugs work in cells using different techniques including but not limited to cell culture and small animal handling, DNA/Protein and essentially RNA manipulation, oligonucleotide/Protein and protein-protein interactions, RNA structure probing, gene expression manipulation, structure-activity relationship study, protein/RNA/Oligonucleotide subcellular localization and trafficking analysis using both biochemistry and cell biology approaches.
- Present and publish research data REQUIREMENTS:
- A Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related field
- At least 2 years of post-doctoral research experience (for Senior Scientist position)
- Broad knowledge and experimental experience with nucleic acid-protein interactions, RNA processing and modification, enzymology, vesicular trafficking, membrane and cytoskeleton are desired
- Track record of innovative research and scientific publications in the related field
- Skills/experience in small animal handling, protein complex purification, confocal imaging, and antisense technology are highly preferred
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication skills
- An ability to work both independently and as a team member, and be productive and successful in an intense work environment Excellent salary and benefits package offered. Please visit our website, , for more information about Ionis and to apply for this position; reference requisition # 19-0027 NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY. Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.
Keywords: Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., San Diego , Senior Scientist/ Postdoctoral Fellow, Other , Carlsbad, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!