Scientist I, Cell Biology
Company: Kelly Services
Posted on: October 13, 2019
Scientist I, Cell Biology, Carlsbad, CA
This scientist will support a team that develops next-generation
solutions and integrated applications using a wide array of Thermo
Fisher Scientific products to support customer driven projects. The
work will support three principal activities: to develop new tools
and solutions pertaining to drug discovery, to exemplify how to use
our tools to ask broad scientific questions, to participate in
external collaborations and to create customized solutions for our
clients. The scientist will be expected to both execute projects
independently or with minimal supervision and to support senior
scientists in a highly collaborative team environment.
Projects may include, but not be limited to, stem cell
characterization using a variety of microarray and qPCR based
methods, cell line engineering, tissue culture, molecular biology
and virus generation. These projects may be driven by internal
project design or by external collaborations.
Scope of Need:
The successful individual will directly interact with junior and
senior R&D staff, project management and external collaborators
to understand or develop workplans. The scientist will then be
responsible for executing plans either independently or as part of
a team in order to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines.
Designated activities will require a certain level of independence
but may also be in support of senior scientists. In addition, this
scientist will be expected to participate in laboratory
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Lab maintenance (ordering, instrument maintenance, lab
- Stem cell characterization (qPCR and microarray analysis of
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types, 2D and 3D)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection and
- Molecular biology (Plasmid subcloning and TaqMan-- PCR)
- Stem cell culture (feeding, passaging and cryopreservation)
- This individual will also be expected to support and
participate in senior level R&D meetings.
Capabilities and Competencies
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and
- Proven experience:
- Molecular biology techniques including DNA/RNA extraction and
microarray based techniques.
- Manipulating DNA plasmid constructs and with various forms of
- Sterile tissue culture techniques
- Additional experience (not required, but good to have):
- Stem cell culture
- Cell line engineering
- Virus generation
- Ability to:
- Observe deviations from the expected outcomes
- Succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable
- Associate's degree (required). Candidates with a bachelor's
degree or industry experience (preferred).
- Required: 1-3 years experience in molecular biology techniques
(DNA/RNA/protein), microarrays expertise is a plus.
- Required: 1-3 years experience in tissue culture
- Preferred: 1-3 years experience in stem cell culture
- The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory
environment. Some work will take place in biosafety hoods in a
tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures.
Cells will typically be validated by molecular biology techniques
or functional assays. Some time will be spent at the desk recording
laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
- Must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety
standards and protocols.
- Critical to success in this position will be the individual's
ability to independently work on some projects and to provide
support on others. Equally important will be the ability to work as
part of team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a
broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management,
Why Kelly--?With Kelly, youll have access to some of the worlds
highest regarded scientific organizationsproviding you with
opportunities to work on todays most challenging,
research-intensive, and relevant projects. Our connections can lead
you to innovative scientific pursuits youll be proud to help
advance. We work with 90 of the Fortune 100 companies and found
opportunities for more than 10,000 scientific professionals last
You pursued a career in science to fuel your quest for knowledge
and your desire to make the world a better place. Let Kelly fuel
your careerconnect with us today.About Kelly--At Kelly, were always
thinking about whats next and advising job seekers on new ways of
working to reach their full potential. In fact, were a leading
advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we
believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities
that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people
with great companies is what we do best, and our employment
opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and
industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a
diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities,
females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual
orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The
Keywords: Kelly Services, San Diego , Scientist I, Cell Biology, Other , Carlsbad, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!