Company: Habitat for Humanity
Location: San Diego
Posted on: May 5, 2021
The Foreman is responsible for daily work on a residential
construction site, day to day project oversight and safety,
providing skilled journeyman level work and skill management of the
construction project. The duties include coordination and daily
progress of building construction activities, working with
unskilled to skilled volunteers, while maintaining the project's
schedule and providing quality control.
- Lead and instruct up to 10 skilled and unskilled volunteers in
all phases of building new homes (foundations, mechanical and
electrical are subbed out).
- Assure all site work is performed in accordance with the San
Diego Habitat Safety Policy.
- Assure that all site work is in accordance with approved
drawings, current building codes, budget, schedule and San Diego
Habitat building practices.
- Assure that proper and sufficient materials and equipment are
available for each day's work.
- Assist in the proper control, maintenance, storage, and
security of all materials, tools, and equipment.
- Maintain a clean and orderly jobsite appearance.
- Provide technical assistance, construction document
interpretation, and recommended construction methods and equipment
- Assist in developing and implementing the project
- Complete final walk-through checklist and closing punch
- Assist where necessary at San Diego Habitat's home repair
Supervision and Training
- Plan daily duties for volunteers and assign duties according to
their abilities to the jobs/tasks.
- Provide construction skills training for volunteers of widely
varying ability levels.
- Provide daily site safety meetings and continuous safety
- Cultivate "regular" volunteers to provide ongoing site
- Perform all work in the utmost safe manner, with integrity,
humility, and respect of others.
- Manage all processes to include construction material purchase
receipts and invoices and code for payment.
- Provide weekly project updates.
- Participate in department and affiliate-wide meetings, events,
professional development, training and process improvement.
- Ability to successfully perform the essential responsibilities
of the position.
- Minimum of 10 years of hands on experience in all phases of
- Minimum of 2-5 years as a construction site foreman.
- Able to read and interpret standard residential construction
blueprints and specifications.
- Working knowledge of residential building codes.
- Ability to speak effectively with city building inspectors and
city department personnel on issues that arise during each phase of
- Possess sufficient knowledge of residential construction to
determine materials, and schedule, coordinate and participate in
- Able to use hand and power tools needed to complete residential
construction tasks and instruct others on their effective and safe
- Possess basic mathematical aptitude to calculate building
- Ability to successfully work with skilled and unskilled
volunteers, trade partners, engineers and co-workers.
- Able to lead, manage, supervise and motivate individuals and
teams of volunteers.
- Able to plan, schedule, prioritize, coordinate, delegate and
manage multiple activities.
- Able to analyze circumstances, make routine decisions, problem
solve, and give direction regarding problem resolution.
REQUIRED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Certified in first aid and CPR (or able to be certified within
three months of hiring).
- HFHI Competent Person Certification (or able to be certified
within 12 months of hiring).
- Technical Skills-thorough knowledge of all aspects of
construction including technology, equipment, and construction
methods required for effective performance by subcontractors,
volunteers, and partner families.
- Safety-Demonstrates a commitment to a culture of safety in all
aspects of construction, proactive daily awareness, training and
maintenance of a safe and tidy job site at all times; lifting,
carrying, climbing, use of power tools, weather/heat
- Open and welcoming of people of any faith or no faith,
individuals of diverse populations, and socio-economic
- Commitment to nonprofit service with an interest in the mission
of increasing affordable housing in San Diego County.
- Demonstrates a high level of ethics, integrity, diplomacy and
- Computer literacy in MS Office applications Outlook, Excel,
Project, and Word.
- High School diploma or equivalent, preferred.
- Teaching and/or volunteer experience and background in
non-profit organizations a plus.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish a plus
- Stand or walk for the majority of a work day, including working
on uneven surfaces
- 90% OUTDOORS: Works outdoors on a construction work site with
exposure to occasional inclement heat, dirt, dust, dampness,
construction debris, noises, fumes and odors related to
construction materials will occur; require weather/heat
- Apply extensive physical mobility, including reaching, lifting,
holding, pushing and pulling, carrying, bending, climbing stairs
and ladders, crawling, kneeling, arm and leg extension
- Regularly lift 10-35 pounds: Occasionally 75 pounds or
- See and judge distances and spatial relationships
- Ability to verbally communicate clearly in-person and on the
- Visual acuity sufficient to satisfactorily perform and review
construction work to ensure building safety and quality
- Independently operate motor vehicle
- Regular Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday (occasionally
- Average 40-hour work week
- Occasional work beyond regular work schedule is expected
- Must be able to pass background check (In accordance with state
and county law: convictions do not necessarily rule out employment,
it depends on the nature and severity of the conviction and is
evaluated on a case by case basis, check is conducted on last 7
- Valid California Driver's License and good driving
- Ability to drive large pickup, box and stake bed
- Ability to drive throughout the San Diego region
- Ability to be insured under company insurance
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: "CONSTRUCTION Foreman"
Cover Letter & Resume
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO FOLLOW APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE
CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
Keywords: Habitat for Humanity, San Diego , Construction Foreman, Professions , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!