Surveyor I, Senior- San Diego
Company: American Bureau of Shipping
Location: San Diego
Posted on: September 17, 2023
The Senior Surveyor I is considered an intermediate to advanced
level Surveyor position. The primary function is to examine and
report on vessels and other marine structures during and after
construction relative to compliance with the applicable
requirements for maintaining the vessel in Classification with ABS
and meeting associated statutory and special service requirements
related to the Safety of Life at Sea, Loadline, Tonnage, Cargo
Gear, and Pollution Prevention Certification. When necessary,
responsible for administering office procedures and monitoring
business performance at an assigned port.
What You Will Do:
- Acts as a professional specialist for the organization in the
application of related rules, regulations, requirements, concepts,
principles, and processes.
- Performs routine surveys on classed vessels, platforms, or
other marine structures and at manufacturers for classification and
compliance with statutory requirements.
- Prepares technically accurate and timely reports of inspections
and surveys performed.
- Engages in contact with clients to resolve problems within
areas of expertise.
- Maintains survey files in an orderly and up-to-date manner in
the area of responsibility.
- Maintains an active awareness of new methods and developments
affecting the technical scope of assigned responsibilities and
recommends changes in the surveying processes and safety programs
as warranted by such developments. Recommends new approaches to
problems encountered and makes changes in methods, procedures, or
design where necessary.
- Plans, schedules, and coordinates various phases of surveying
work and monitoring the quality of service on work
- Monitors work and projects performed by subordinate surveyors
to ensure maintenance of quality, content, consistency, and
continuity of work performed.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and training to lower-level
and/or less experienced surveyors.
- Promotes the services and capabilities of ABS to present and
What You Will Need:
Education & Experience
- Qualifications from a tertiary institution within a relevant
field of engineering or physical science (minimum two (2) years
- Qualifications from a marine or nautical institution and
relevant seagoing experience as a certificated ship officer,
- Minimum requirements & knowledge listed for Surveyor
- Minimum three (3) years of experience working as a Surveyor
- Understanding of ABS strategic technical positioning in their
respective sector of the marine industry or
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in an Engineering or
Survey Capacity with an IACS member Classification Society
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Appropriate certification and/or licenses in areas of
specialization may be required.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of ABS Rules, Guides,
statutory regulations, and related instructions, as well as the ABS
Employee Safety Policy.
- Ability to read engineering plans and have a basic
understanding of shipbuilding practices and vessel
- Ability to perform surveys in the prescribed format.
- Knowledge of computer programs or software packages related to
- Knowledge of related technical interfaces required for group
- Knowledge of ships' engineering systems and machinery.
- Ability to communicate in English, orally and in writing,
pertinent information relative to assigned area of technical
- Ability to analyze problems and propose solutions.
Will report to a Principal Surveyor or higher, under the direction
of a Survey Manager or District/Country Manager as appropriate. The
incumbent may supervise or provide leadership guidance to
lower-level surveyors. Incumbent may be provided with support or
assistance by an administrative support staff member as applicable
to his/her office.
Travel to and from survey sites and manufacturing plants going
aboard various marine vessels, offshore platforms, or structures.
Some work may be performed in an office environment. Some work may
be performed in confined spaces, and it may be necessary to climb
vertical ladders of various heights, and construction staging of
various heights. The use of small tools and the wearing of Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE), in accordance with ABS safety
procedures, may be required.
$90,000 - $115,000
This position requires access to information that is subject to
control by the Export Administration Regulations and/or the
International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Any offer of employment
shall be contingent upon the Company's verification that the
candidate is a "U.S. Person" or upon the receipt of all necessary
export licenses or authorizations that may be required by U.S.
export control laws. "U.S. Persons" are defined as U.S. citizens,
U.S. lawful permanent residents (i.e., "green card" holders), or
any individual granted protected status under the Immigration and
Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. * 1324b(a)(3)), including asylees and
refugees. In the event a candidate refuses or cannot otherwise
provide the necessary information for the Company to determine
whether such licenses may be required, or for the Company to obtain
any required licenses, the Company shall maintain the exclusive
right to discontinue the application process and/or withdraw any
contingent offer that has been made.
Keywords: American Bureau of Shipping, San Diego , Surveyor I, Senior- San Diego, Professions , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!