Operations & Maintenance Technician I
Company: Southwest Generation Operating Company
Location: San Diego
Posted on: November 11, 2019
GENERAL PURPOSE:Senior-level position responsible for start, stop
and monitoring of equipment. Uses computers and monitoring
equipment to measure, record and make adjustments within operating
parameters. Performs a variety of plant maintenance tasks including
diagnosis, maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical
equipment in a safe and efficient manner. Ensures compliance with
all local, State and Federal regulations and plant procedures. The
Pio Pico facility is a highly efficient, simple cycle gas turbine
facility utilizing state-of-the-art GE LMS100 technology. This
position reports to the O&M Manager.Duties and
- Performs a variety of complex technical services/support duties
requiring specialized operational knowledge.
- Regularly makes decisions on non-routine or escalated technical
- Responsible to meet contract sales agreement within safe,
reliable, and efficient equipment operational limitations during
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities.
- Reviews own work and possibly the work of others; work results
are the highest quality standards and advanced technical
- Resolves the most complex technical issues, conferring with
management occasionally; may serve as a resource to others in
resolution of complex issues.
- Works under limited to no supervision.
- Prepares, maintains and provides a variety of reports/documents
as required or upon request.
- Ensures strict adherence to all safety and environmental
- Communicates condition of plant systems, equipment and
pertinent information to others.
- Interpret and respond to visual and auditory signals from
- Perform control room and outside operation of all station
equipment and systems during routine, abnormal, and emergency
- Position requires a qualification process to demonstrate
ability to properly and safely operate the power plant.
- Perform start-up, operation, monitoring, shutdown and lock-out
of plant auxiliary equipment at the equipment location.
- Operate all plant mobile equipment, forklift, man lift,
- Perform maintenance and upkeep of site buildings and
- Ensure adequate supply of oil and chemicals are available to
support plant operation.
- Perform chemical analysis on plant water systems which include
demineralized water, cooling water, waste water and raw water.
- Operate and perform routine maintenance water plant
systems.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and
interpersonal skills and possess the ability to learn.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with an advanced understanding of
chemistry, physics, electricity and mathematics.
- Ability to follow both verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail,
accuracy, and timeliness.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer knowledge of Word, Excel,
Power Point and various other programs.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to small groups
of employees in a professional and accurate manner.
- Ability and willingness to read and interpret blueprints,
schematic diagrams, procedures and technical manuals.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with individuals in
all areas of the company and outside vendors.Education and
- High School Diploma, degree from a technical/vocational school,
military service or equivalent required.
- Preferred Associates degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year
college, trade school certification or advanced education in
mechanical, electrical, or instrumentation or equivalent
- Senior level; generally, 10+ years directly related experience
including understanding of environmental & safety regulations and
previous experience working as a senior level plant operator.
- Experience working with and around hazardous energy, chemicals,
and waste materials.
- Requires previous experience using testing equipment &
- Experience in operating GE LMS100 preferred.
- Experience in maintaining GE LMS 100 preferred.
- Experience with CISCO CEMS and Teledyne Analyzers
desired.Physical Demands:Must be able to accomplish physical
requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Employee will be required to adhere to large amounts of
standing, walking, bending, squatting, and lifting. May be required
to lift, carry, and move up to 50 lbs. Will use arms and hands to
signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull: objects, materials,
controls and tools. Will occasionally work at heights, climb
ladders, stairways, and work off of platforms. Will use vision
abilities to focus, see short and long distances, colors, depth
perception and peripheral vision. Will be required to wear personal
protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hard hat,
safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety
vests, gloves and safety-toe boots.
- Able to hear (at some dB limit of loss) in order to hear plant
alarms, equipment condition, and to receive oral instructions.
- Able to see to determine plant operating conditions and to
avoid safety hazards.Working Environment:
- Performing this job without full/focused attention may cause
serious injury or even fatality.
- Work is generally performed inside the power plant, but may
work in all weather conditions ranging from warm/hot - cool/cold.
Occasional rain. Noise levels will be moderate to high. Job site
will contain light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large
equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools.EEO
Statement:Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer,
Identity.Please note this job description is not designed to cover
or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice. PI114084020
Keywords: Southwest Generation Operating Company, San Diego , Operations & Maintenance Technician I, Professions , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!