Charge Registered Nurse - Outpatient Dialysis
Location: San Diego
Posted on: November 20, 2023
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functions as the hemodialysis team leader in
the provision of chronic hemodialysis care and treatment. Provides
day to day direction and supervision to assigned direct patient
care staff. Communicates with the physician and other members of
the healthcare team to interpret, adjust, and complete patient care
plans. Provides safe, effective delivery of patient care in
compliance with standards outlined in the facility procedure
manual, as well as regulations set forth by the company, state, and
federal agencies.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: -General
and Staff Related:
- Provides day to day guidance, support and direction to direct
patient care staff, providing informal feedback on an ongoing basis
and formal feedback input for the annual performance evaluation.
Participates in the department staffing and the appropriate hiring,
firing and disciplinary actions. Recommends disciplinary action to
Clinical Manager and initiate as appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with all company and facility approved
procedures and policies as well as regulations set forth by state
and federal agencies in clinics with more than 100 patients.
- Approves or disapproves time or personnel schedule changes in
the absence on the Clinical Manager ensuring compliance with
applicable regulations, policies and procedures for documenting
time of work hours for staff members on assigned shift.
- Participates in patient care plan meetings.
- Maintains knowledge in the current practices related to the
principles and techniques of dialysis by participating in all
- Trains and orients staff as necessary.
- Routinely observes and guides direct patient care staff for
appropriate technique and adherence to facility policies and
- Promotes and assists with compliance to OSHA programs in order
to maintain a safe and clean working environment.
- Maintains overall shift operation in a safe, efficient, and
- Conducts staff meeting with Clinical Manager at least monthly
or as needed to keep patient care staff informed of changes in
patient care needs or operations to improve delivery of care.
- Meets routinely with the Clinical Manager to discuss personnel
and patient care status, issues, and information.
- Supervise all documentation of patient information.
- Coordinates Charge Nurse duties with Staff RNs acting in the
relief charge capacity.Patient Care:
- Assesses daily patient care needs and develop and distribute
patient care assignments appropriately. Assesses patient needs,
respond to dialysis treatments, and communicate concerns to
rounding physician. Implement changes inpatient care/treatment as
- Assumes primary responsibility in an emergency situation.
- Monitors and supervises all patient care activity during
dialysis and assist as necessary.
- Collaborates with direct patient care team in making decisions
to benefit patient care.
- Continuously monitors patient's condition with regards to
problems and potential complications associated with dialysis.
- Administers medications to patients per physician's
- Acts as the subject matter expert and as a resource for staff
- Supervises and participates in completion of short and long
term care plans.
- Admits new patients according to facility procedure.
- Ensures educational needs of patients are met and educate the
patient and family about End Stage Renal Disease, dialysis therapy,
diet, and medication.
- Supervises the safe and effective use of all equipment involved
in direct patient care.
- Operates all dialysis related and emergency equipment safely
and efficiently when needed.
- Performs required testing and verification and initial the
checklist for start-up and shut-down procedures as outlined in the
Technical Services Manual.
- Completes Nurse's Technical Training Program/Water Quality
- Assists with special projects or other duties as assigned by
the Clinical Manager and the interviewing of potential direct
patient care staff as requested.
- Promotes efficient use of medical supplies.
- Attends and participates in monthly Quality Assurance
- Performs other related duties as assigned.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND
WORKING CONDITIONS:The physical demands and work environment
characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. - Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
- The position requires travel between assigned facilities and
various locations within the community. Travel to regional,
Business Unit and Corporate meetings may be required.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing theIshihara
Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whether reasonable accommodation can be
- Direct Patient Care Staff, Ward Clerk as assigned.EDUCATION AND
- Bachelor's Degree; Advanced Degree of an accredited school of
Nursing (R.N.) desirable or an equivalent combination of education
- Current appropriate state licensure.EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS: - -
- - - - -
- Minimum of 9 months of nursing experience and an additional 3
months of clinical experience in dialysis
- RN charge nurses assuming responsibility for nursing and
patient services in the absence of the Clinical Manager must have
one-year clinical experience and six months dialysis
- Supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Successfully complete a training course in the theory and
practice of hemodialysis.
- Good communication skills - verbal and written.
- Must meet appropriate state requirements (if
any).ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:I acknowledge that I have read and accepted
this job description. - I understand what is expected of me in this
position, and I am able to perform the essential functions as
outlined with or without reasonable accommodation. - Furthermore, I
understand that the duties and responsibilities listed in this job
description are intended only as illustrations of the various types
of work that may be performed. - The omission of specific
statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the
work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- If I have any questions about duties and responsibilities not
specified in this job description that I am asked to perform, I
should discuss them with my immediate supervisor or my Human
Resources representative.EO/AA Employer:
Identity Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws."The
rate of pay for this position will depend on the successful
candidate's work location and qualifications, including relevant
education, work experience, skills, and competencies.
Hourly Rate: - $39.00 - $66.00"
Keywords: FRESENIUS, San Diego , Charge Registered Nurse - Outpatient Dialysis, Healthcare , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!