Principal Vessel Operator
Company: Serco Group
Location: San Diego
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Serco Inc. is looking for a highly motivated Ships Captain with
10-12 years' experience to join our Maritime Engineering,
Technology and Sustainment (METS) team supporting Naval Information
Warfare Center (NIWC) command. This position supports a broad
portfolio of Autonomous Maritime System (AMS) programs in the San
Diego, CA/NIWC PAC geographic region onboard a fast-growing local
This position is contingent upon your to maintain your clearance
The Vessel Operator will provide support in managing Unmanned
Experimental Vessels (UXV) and systems. Troubleshoots problems
within project/program, providing analysis and solution
recommendations. Expertise and work efforts are focused on the
analysis of customer's business goals, objectives, needs and the
general business environment to solve technical problems. Relies on
experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Reports to a
Program Manager or head of a unit/department under limited
supervision. This position will support onsite NIWC customer
facilities in San Diego, CA along with some remote support.
In this role, you will:
The Vessel Operator will be responsible for safely piloting Navy
R&D UXV test platforms, performing scheduled and corrective
maintenance, integration, testing, field installation, and
troubleshooting of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic equipment
- Operate UXV from onboard and remote platforms.
- Conduct routine and corrective maintenance of complex automated
control systems, primary and auxiliary engines and systems, diesel
generators, electrical distribution systems, and ship firefighting
- Lead support with vessel modifications, payload integration,
fabrication engineering changes, electrical, mechanical and network
integration and testing.
- Planning shipyard overhauls.
- Develop maintenance plans and procedures.
- Conduct at-sea testing of UXVs and associated payload,
including test plan development, test execution, and post-test
- Provide sound and seasoned technical judgement that follows
company policies and procedures in meeting customer
- Maintain teams and systems in the highest state of readiness to
meet US Government requirements.
- Work within a team to resolve technical issues.
- Formulate methods and processes which will increase safety,
efficiency, and readiness.
- Ability to operate Naval Small Craft such as 11M Rigid Hull
Inflatable Boats (RHIB)
- Travel and at-sea watch standing will be required.
To be successful in the role, you will need:
- Bachelor's degree in an applicable Engineering discipline and a
minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
- An active clearance is required.
- A current valid U.S. passport is required.
- USCG license of at least 200 Tons
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as a team
player in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with minimum supervision under a variety of
- Minimum 25% travel CONUS/OCONUS
Preferred Job Requirements:
- Knowledge of all types of autonomous maritime systems
(USVs/ROVs/AUVs) is preferred.
Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc.
Serco serves every branch of the U.S. military, numerous U.S.
Federal civilian agencies, the Intelligence Community, the Canadian
government, state and local governments, and commercial clients. We
help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently while
increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered
in Herndon, Virginia, Serco Americas has approximately 8,000
employees and is part of a $4 billion global business that helps
transform government and public services around the world. At
Serco, our employees are our most valuable asset - we listen,
respect and support them throughout their career at Serco. We
invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco is an equal
opportunity employer committed to diversifying our workforce (Race/
Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National
Origin/ Disability/ Vets).
Keywords: Serco Group, San Diego , Principal Vessel Operator, Other , San Diego, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!